// CHAPTER THIRTY FIVE //

It felt like we'd been walking miles: the sun was beginning to go down and the breeze was making the hairs on my bare arm stand on end, but my hand was still linked with Matty's as we trudged along in silence. Comfortable silence, the kind where you know you don't need to fill it with any noise, where you can enjoy your partner's presence without having to let a word leave your lips. Blissful. Happy.

We'd walked out of the city hours ago and were currently walking up some grassy bank surrounded by trees. In normal circumstances I'd be positively shitting myself from fear: I had no idea where I was and I'd never been fond of the dark, but feeling Matty's skin on mine left me feeling nothing but ease.

"This should do," Matty said as he stopped in his tracks and took a look around. His eyes flickered onto my face and he began to smile at my obvious confusion. "Sit."

"On the grass?" I asked, watching Matty sit with his legs open.

"Well, kind of." He replied, tugging at my hand and pulling me to sit in the space between his legs. The grass was damp and cold against my legs as I felt the wetness seep through my jeans.

"So what now?" I asked, turning my head so I could look up at his chiseled jaw.

"Nothing. We sit." He said simply, wrapping his arms around me and resting his chin on the top of my head. His voice was quieter, and after looking, looking properly, at our surroundings I realised why. The sun was barely visible now, but still hundreds of stars were beginning to poke through the dark peachy sky. On the hill it was beautiful, only hill after hill visible and the sound of the wind rustling through the trees.

"I wouldn't have thought a place like this existed in London." I sighed happily, embracing the warmth of Matty's body.

"This is my secret place. Hustle and bustle is alright, you'd expect that from a place inhabited by thousands of working class people with ambition. But sometimes...you need to get away." He whispered, relaxing his body against mine.

"But is it something in particular you're trying to get away from?" I asked, not being able to stop this secret creeping into my mind.

"Aves, don't start." He sighed impatiently, unhooking his arms from around my body.

"I feel like you're hiding something from me. I don't know what yo-"

"I said I'd tell you. But today isn't that day. So can you shut up and let me cuddle you and watch these damn stars and let me be romantic for once in my fucking life." He snapped. His hostility caught me off guard as I slightly shuffled away from him to be able to look at his face properly. He looked tired, but he had this other expression that I couldn't pinpoint.

"Please Avery." He said, his voice soft again as he pulled me against his chest once again and held me tighter than I've ever been held. Something was wrong, and I wanted to believe that it was because of the Ethan and the cafe fiasco from earlier but I just couldn't. But now wasn't the time to push, now was the time to bathe in this sweet experience that Matty had invited me in to.

"Okay babe, okay." I replied, grabbing Matty's jacket from the floor and trying to spread it over the both of us.

-----

"Avery! Look I can explain, can we talk? Noa-" Emily said the minute I'd closed the door behind me. After sitting in the middle of nowhere for an hour and talking about anything and everything, Matty insisted on walking me back home: so I insisted he came inside. I felt him look at me as I rubbed my temples with my fingers, having completely forgotten about the ordeal from earlier.

"Just leave her alright, I think your mouth's had enough action for one day don't you?" Matty spat, taking me by the hand and leading me to my room. He gently closed the door behind us and locked it.

"Thank you, I forg-" I began to say, before I was interrupted by the sudden movement of Matty grabbing my face and kissing me. Caught off guard at first I stood completely still, until I wasn't able to stop smiling into the kiss. He broke apart and rested his forehead against mine, looking down in to my eyes as his grip on the sides of my face got firmer.

"You're cute." He said, squishing my cheeks together so my mouth was forced to pout. I frowned, feeling all the skin on my face move as Matty held my chub in position. This obviously tickled Matty as he began to laugh, throwing his head back slightly so his curls dangled.

"You're not getting your surprise now, taking the piss out of my chipmunk cheeks like that." I smirked, removing his hands from my face and placing them at his sides.

"You surprise me everyday Avery, you really do, so what makes you think I'll be bothered about missing one of them?" He said raising an eyebrow and crossing his arms, pure amusement covering his face.

"Well, seeing as you said these lips seem full and pouted all the time," I smiled, remembering his outburst from earlier, "I thought maybe you'd like to see them around you for the second time?" I smirked as I saw Matty's face fall and a small but noticeable blush creep up his face. I tenderly placed a kiss at his neck before moving to his ear.
"But hey, you said you weren't bothered about missing it so let's do something else hm? Maybe monopoly?"

His hands immediately grabbed my hips and pulled me into him, before kissing me and pulling at my lower lip with his teeth.

"If you're going to tease me, Avery Collins, you better get ready for what follows." He growled softly, before biting at the skin around my neck. I moaned momentarily, before pushing him back on to the bed and pulling at his jeans.

"So let me do my teasing then." I grinned.

-------
(A/N: I wasn't too happy with this chapter but I hope you like! Your votes and comments are really uplifting guys, it's surreal. Thank you for reading!

The chapter is dedicated to @Ellilopez_ who read the entire thing in the space of a day (even during classes). You're amazing, thank you!❤️)