// CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR //

Immediately as the door shut behind us I brisked myself for the rage-filled flames to escape from Matty's mouth and scorch me, but instead he began walking ahead in silence; one hand hanging loosely at his side whilst the other rested on top of his mouth by only his forefinger.

"Matty." I said after him cautiously, daring to increase my pace in order to catch up. He barely flinched at the sound of his name, and instead kept glancing up at the sky. I could see the skin around his eyes wrinkle as he squinted against the sun's intensity and the bright blue surrounding it.

"Matty." I repeated, louder, finally catching up and tugging on the bottom of his sleeve. He seemed to regain his senses and looked startled for a split second, before turning to face me, his head tilted partially due to the height difference.

"Hm?" He hummed back, taking his eyes off my face and glancing behind me. I took the opportunity to join him, turning my head to see. Thankfully the boys had kept their distance and were still sheepishly loitering outside the cafe, most likely to escape his indignation.

"Back there, he w-"

"Why is there a massive red bump on your head?" He interrupted, raising a quizzical eyebrow. He raised his hand and traced over it slightly with his fingertips, making me wince from the pain.

"Oh it doesn't matter now-"

"Yes Avery, it does. Did I do that when I was driving?" He asked sternly. Now it was my turn to be sheepish, as I stood silently in front of him looking at my shoes. I quickly glanced up and saw him pursing his slightly chapped lips in thought, the sun casting light over half of his face.

"Why aren't you angry?" I asked, nodding back towards the cafe. He looked almost caught off guard as momentary confusion covered his face.

"Why aren't you?" He simply replied with a shrug. Before I had time to reply, he interrupted me:

"Let's go on a date."

"A date?" I almost choked, completely caught off guard by this surprisingly relaxed and loving approach to the situation.

"A date. We have that gig tomorrow that George managed to score for us, so it'll have to be now. Come." He said, walking in the direction of the boys. I stood still for a moment, trying to recollect myself and process whether this was real or not.

Matty, the Matty, had just asked me to spend time out in public with him. No strings attached, no nagging him to do so, no hinting at the idea; but instead from his own initiative. I pinched myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming, and although the regular mild pain shot up through my hand I still wasn't entirely sure.

"We're going out for a bit," Matty said as he reached the boys. They looked equally as confused as I was, looking at each other and frowning slightly. "Give Ross his keys, we won't need the car." With that he walked past the lads again, his hand holding his denim jacket low at one side. I quickly did as I was told and handed over the keys and gave a brief description of where it was parked before rushing to catch up with Matty, but a hand wrapped around my wrist was holding me back.

"Be careful. Please." George almost whispered before giving me a half smile and walking off with Adam and Ross.

I didn't have time to question George's warning as Matty had almost gotten out of sight, so I paced quickly to catch up with him, hearing the slaps of my skate shoes hitting the pavement.

"Where are we going?" I asked as I caught up with him, keeping back slightly.

"You'll see." He said over his shoulder. We carried on walking for a while in silence, before Matty looked over his shoulder once again and extended out his free hand to me.

"Are you going to hold my hand or what dumbo?" He said, a smile forming at the corner of his mouth. I quickly reached out and grabbed it, intertwining my fingers with his own, too happy to say a thing.

---------
(A/N: sorry it's not a very long chapter it's more of a filler for what's going to happen next, I haven't had much time because of exams and other boring stuff. Meh.

I say this every time but thank you SO much for voting and commenting, this story has blown up in views and votes so much this past week it's unbelievable, you're the best❤️)

(P.s I'll do the chapter dedication when I'm home, I'm in the library trying to find any distraction possible to not do work hahaha)