// CHAPTER FIVE //

Turns out George had gone MIA for the last hour and a half with the others as they still weren't back. I'd suggested ringing them, but Matty seemed to have other things on his mind. Like getting high. I didn't object, I've smoked weed a few times and it never really seemed to affect me. Then again, I was always sharing it with a group of people and it was always limp with spit by the time it had come round to me.

"So what is it you're even studying?" Matty asked, taking a drag. His eyes fluttered closed as he held it in, passing it over to me. I took it from his hand and held it between my fingers, raising it to my mouth.

"Creative Writing and History joint honours." I replied, pressing the spliff to my lips and breathing it in. I looked over to Matty who had only just released the cloud of smoke, sticking out his bottom lip and blowing it upwards.

"Ah right. George dropped out of uni ages ago but somehow got it into his head he should finish his creative writing course or whatever the fuck it is, it sounds boring. The lack of faith in our band is quite insulting actually." Matty grinned to himself, before taking the zoot from my hand.

"Erm, do you mind?" I scoffed, shuffling around. I'd been sat down on the concrete floor for a good 2 hours now and I could feel nothing except a horrid tingling sensation. "And I thought he was 18?". Matty furrowed his brow and let his mouth hang open, before releasing a loud laugh. 

"Love, he's 24."

"Who's 24?" Adam said, walking into the room with a can of lager in hand. He tossed one to Matty and one to me, and I managed to catch it one handed. "Good catch."

"George. I thought he was 18." I replied, turning the can over in my hands. The metal was cold against my touch as I wiped my fingers along the side, drawing lines with the moisture. Adam gave a slight laugh too as he sat cross legged on the floor, facing Matty.

"As if you've smoked that joint! We were meant to be saving that for later, that was a good roll too." George groaned as he walked and sat beside me, tossing an empty can to the floor and opening another. 

"George, I thought you were supposed to be driving me back?" I asked, staring at the can in his hand.

"I've only had 3, I'll still take you back." He shrugged, taking a sip. Was he fucking serious?

"No you know what it's fine, I'll walk. I'll see you in class." I half laughed, standing up to my feet and grabbing my bag. I'm all for being laid back, but not to the point of stupidity. I was not getting in that car.

"Aw Avery don't be like that, stay for a little longer if you want." Ross said from the other side of the room, fiddling around with his bass guitar.

"Stay over if you want," Adam shrugged "It's not like we haven't got the space."

"You haven't got the heating though." I said, stroking my bare arms. "Thanks for the offer but I've got classes." I nodded a goodbye and walked towards the black glossy door and made my way down the stairs and outside the apartment building. It was now dark and I could barely make out George's car parked wonkily on the grassy kerb. I started walking down a road which looked somewhat familiar but my heart was pounding in my chest. I've always hated the dark, and I'd only moved to London a week ago for university. I had no idea where I was and I was scared shitless. Bile started to raise in the back of my throat and tears started to brim in my eyes as I tried to force myself to stay calm as I got out my phone and opened up the maps to get directions. 

"If you didn't know where you were going you could have just asked." A voice behind me said, causing me to jump and drop my phone onto the concrete pavement. I quickly scrambled to pick it up before turning to face the voice. Matty.