// CHAPTER TWENTY //

Matty's POV

What is wrong with that girl man? All I'd been thinking about since I'd slammed that door behind me was how ignorant Aves really was to the world around her. I mean, I wrote a song for her about her, and yet she blows up about it?

I guess it wasn't solely about her. But she didn't know that? Unless the lyrics were really obvious, I don't think when I'm writing; it just flows. I put my heart and soul into that song and all she could do was criticise it, completely ignoring the parts that were quite frankly, very cute and romantic. That's what girls like isn't it?

But maybe Aves is different? Different from her anyway. As I turned the key in my apartment door and flopped onto the sofa I reached a conclusion.

I need to stay away, otherwise things are going to get nasty.

Just like they did 4 years ago.

Avery's POV

I sat in a stunned silence for a while, looking at the mess littering my once pristine floor.

"It was ugly anyway." A deep voice half laughed, breaking the silence Matty had introduced.

"What?"

"The lamp. It was fucking vile." George grinned, turning the Yorkshire pudding around on his bruised cheek bone.

I shot him a glare, but his dopey smile made me crack and I giggled. "Why are you even holding a Yorkshire pudding?"

"My cheek is bruised."

"I can see that, but why didn't you just use the packet the Yorkshire came out of? It would have stayed colder for longer and covered a larger surface area." I said, taking the room temperature Yorkshire pudding from George's grasp and exiting my room. I popped it in the bin before taking an ice pack out of the freezer and giving it to George.

"The pub only gave me one. They said they needed the rest for when they did their Sunday acoustics or something. I reckon they just wanted to get rid of us, I don't think we'll be performing there again." George tried to joke, but I could see he was actually disappointed. This was their first real gig in ages and I ruined it. Chad ruined it.

"What happened?" I sighed, sitting on the floor and leaning back against the frame of my bed. I started to collect the broken bits of the lamp in my hand, careful not to let the sharp coral-like pieces slice me in half.

"Chad came for the drug money Matty owed him. He's been so wrapped up in writing songs and perfecting them for the gig he'd completely forgotten about it." George said with a heavy sigh. "I'd got there just as Matty was shouting your name so I presume you'd gone. Then bam, Chad punched Matty square in the mouth."

"Oh god." I said, covering my face with my hands. "Did he punch you too?"

"Well actually, this is no less heroic by the way, but I went to step in and slipped on a spilled drink and fell face first into the corner of the bar." George laughed, revealing his goofy smile. I studied his face to make sure he wasn't lying before I began laughing.

"Oi I'd have thrown in some good punches!" George insisted through his laughter.

"Sure you would." I giggled, before reaching for my phone. No new messages. What was I expecting? George saw the disappointment on my face.

"He didn't mean to offend you y'know." He said in a much softer tone. "He thought you'd like it."

"I did like it, it's just," I sighed, fiddling with my thumbs. "It's just some of those lyrics threw me off. I'm not great with stuff like that, and then how you said about how he should have told me something. I may have overreacted but it shows that there clearly is more to those lyrics. Just tell me, Please?" I pleaded with a sniffle. George sighed again before shaking his head.

"It's not mine to say Avery. He's my best mate, I can't." What did I expect? Of course he wasn't going to tell me. I knew I had to find out though, something is clearly going on. I know I could have handled it differently, I'm just not great in these sort of circumstances. The sort of circumstances where boys were involved.

"Shall we clean this mess up?" George suggested, breaking the silence. I nodded gratefully as George joined me on the floor, gathering my underwear and socks in his arms. I quickly took my phone out and texted Matty.

"Hey. I'm sorry I blew up like that, it was uncalled for especially when you went to that much effort. I'll pop round somewhen in the week x"

As soon as I hit send, I saw George holding a cylinder bottle. As soon as I realised what it was, it was too late.

George looked over at me with sympathetic eyes. "You're on anti-depressants?" Before I could scramble for a reply, my phone beeped and I glanced down at the screen.

"Don't."