// CHAPTER SIXTY //

(A/N: To those of you who emailed me asking for my next two chapters which I'd submitted for my uni assignment, I'm really sorry I never got back to you. The amount of people who asked to be emailed was waaaaay over what I'd expected (100 or so of you!), and I couldn't keep up with you all! Instead I decided it'd be easier to just post them on here, regardless on my uni assignment. I submitted it over a month ago now so hopefully, fingers crossed, there shouldn't be a problem - I don't want to keep you all waiting any longer.

Please be aware that these chapters may have some different language etc. to others, because obviously it was written for academics. I still hope you enjoy the drama that is Mavery, however. 
Thank you so much everyone for keeping up with this story, I've now been writing it for 3 years or so and it's mad how far it's come, even when it's far from completion. 

-L x )

----

After my shower, Emily still wasn't back from her 'study group'. Part of me knew that she was lying, but after hearing everything she'd been through the past couple of months, it was hard for me to be angry with her. She's been my best friend since we were six years old, with hair scraped back so tight into a pony tail that we were both always raising a quizzical eyebrow. Those memories quickly turned into something else within my mind, the child versions of ourselves fading away as a more grown up version of Emily replaced it. Accompanying her was a small child of her own, her hair pulled back and those quizzical eyebrows raised so high that I thought she was judging my very soul.
I smiled to myself at how much her child looked like her, even though it was just a figment of my imagination. Either side of her, stood the two potential fathers. Noah stood to her left, pushing his thick rimmed glasses up his nose with his index finger, before shoving his hands further into his beige trousers. On the right, was none other than George, towering over the both of them. His hair was slightly matted, with his blonde frizzy waves sticking out from underneath his baseball cap. He was a complete juxtaposition to Noah, both giving evidence to the whole 'good-guy-bad-guy' love triangle you saw too often in films.

I sighed, hanging my head down to finish towel drying my hair. I flipped it back up, letting the wet strands clump together across my back and around my face, like octopus tentacles clinging to a rock on the sea bed. As bad as I felt about it, I really wished George wasn't the father. Sure, he was my best friend and I loved him as much as I loved Emily, but they were just too different – Emily was focussed on her studies, whereas George was aloof and went where the wind took him, which, at the moment, was all over the world touring with his band that had new found fame. Neither of them were ready to be parents, but at least if Noah was the father, Emily would have the support she needed. It was a tough situation, and my heart ached for her because I knew that if all of this was running through my own head, it would have also ran through hers.

A knock at the door pulled me from my thoughts, and I quickly scrambled to wrap my towel around my body again before making my way to the door. The knocking was constant and loud, and I could see the door physically shaking from the force.
"Alright! I'm coming!" I shouted, holding my towel closed with one hand, and reaching for the handle with the other. I'd barely opened the door an inch when Matty burst through the door, with Emily following closely behind him.
"Jeeeeeeeesus!" I shouted in annoyance, regaining my footing. I closed the door behind them, before watching Matty pace up and down the small corridor. His fists were balled at his sides, his head hung low, and his face was twisted into an expression I'd never seen before. Frankly, it scared me.

"What the fuck!" Is all that came out of his mouth, before he took a punch at one of the walls. His knuckles went straight through it, and plaster crumbled to the floor.
"Matty!" Emily and I screamed in unison. Blood coated his hand, and we all watched in stunned silence as it dripped to the floor, staining the murky green carpet. Without thinking, I rushed over to him and cradled his hand in my own, inspecting the damage. Bruises had already formed across his hand, and from the looks of things he'd re-opened some scabs.
"What's wrong with you lately?" I said quietly to myself, barely a whisper. My heart broke every time I saw him, but it was demolished into tiny, fragmented pieces every time I flashbacked to the image of his naked body intertwined with Sophie's, and the look of guilt that flashed across his face when he realised I'd caught them in the act. Don't get me wrong, I was mad at him. Weeks had passed and I was still as hurt, as defeated... but I still couldn't stand to see him in such a state. I loved him, and that wasn't a fact that was going to change anytime soon.

His expression softened at the contact, and forthe first time in a while I saw the sadness behind his eyes.
"Aves..." he whimpered, his eyes tearing up. He looked me up and down, beforelooking into my eyes. In that moment, I'd realised I was still in my towel, andI felt my cheeks burn. I dropped Matty's hand and clutched at my towel onceagain.
"I tried to stop him, he's gone mad." Emily finally pitched in after what feltlike an eternity.
"I just can't fucking believe it. How couldhe?!" He shouted. Within seconds, the Matty I had once knew had disappeared,and he'd returned to this angry, warped version of himself.
"Hey come on, you can't blame George. He might not even be the father!" I said,crossing my arms over my chest. Matty raised his eyebrow at me.
"What?"
"What? What do you mean what?" I asked, looking over to Emily. Her mouth washanging open, and her eyes wide with shock. It was then that the penny dropped."Oh...shit." I gasped, clasping a hand over my mouth. I'd trapped one of the strandsof my hair beneath it, and I felt the cold liquid seep against my lips from thepressure of my grip. Matty looked between us for an answer, until his own facedropped with the realisation.
"You-are you pregnant?" He said, pointing at her stomach. Emily's hands droppedto her belly in retaliation, cradling it protectively. Matty rolled his eyes."Un-fucking-believable."

Emily's eyes welled up with tears. I instantly pulled her towards me, wrappingan arm around her shoulder.
"I fail to see what any of this has to do with you, or why you're even here,Matty?" I grimaced, clenching my teeth.
"You know what? Neither do I." He shouted, an exasperated laugh followed. "Butyou know what? You're fucking insane if you think George will even wantanything to do with that baby, even if it's his. I bet Noah won't either.That's what you get for being a little slut." My hand instantly shot up and hithim around the face. It shocked the both of us; my hand was stinging from theimpact, but I knew Matty had come off worse as his hand shot up to his cheek,which already had the red imprint of my fingers.
"Pretty fucking ironic, don't youthink? Seeing as you can't keep your dick in your pants." I spat. My wordscaught him off guard as he lost his footing slightly, as if the words hadphysically injured him, striking at his heart.
"You know what? No I can't. But it's not my fault you're a frigid littlevirgin, Avery. What else do you expect me to do? Not to mention the fact wewere never in a relationship. I can do what I fucking well please."
"Get. Out." I hissed, staring himdown. Rage bubbled up inside me and filled my entire body, so much so that myhands were trembling. He laughed menacingly, happy that he'd managed to stir upa reaction within me. I opened the door for him and he stormed outside, takinglarge strides toward the common room.

"Hey, Matty?" I called out after him. He looked over his shoulder at me, hissmirk still plastered across his face. "I hope you're enjoying life now. Fame,girls... and the fact they'll be gone when they realise that you're basically a walking advertisment for chlamydia, and your dick resembles a mangled Moam." I forced a smug smilewatching as his own disappeared, before slamming the door. There was nothing more I wanted to do than bury myself beneath my duvet and cry the night away, but I knew someone who needed me to be strong. I turned to faceEmily, and wrapped her up in my arms moments before she finally broke down andlet the tears fall.