EIGHTEEN

I open my eyes a crack, to see a sliver of light. My throat aches, and it takes all my effort to be able to speak. "W-Water..." I croak. I don't even know if someone's there, but I try anyways.

"Vienna?"

I can't tell who it is, but they hold a cold glass of refreshing water to my lips. I gulp it down thirstily, but it does barely anything to help with the pain in my throat.

Opening my eyes fully, I see Madam Pomfrey looking down at me worriedly. Mattheo's standing behind her, his eyes full of concern. I slowly sit up, my head aching. Brings me back to my hangover.

"I'm alive." I say quietly, the disappointment clear in my hoarse voice.

Madame Pomfrey smiles. "Yes you are, dear. And believe me, many of us are glad you are."

I look down at my hands, my face burning with embarrassment. Someone lightly touches my arm. "You scared the shit out of me, Vienna."

It's Mattheo. "Sorry." I mumble.

He scratches the back of his neck. "I'm sorry about what I did. I'll explain it when you're better, but you probably don't want to see me right now."

I look up at him. "It's fine..." Before I can say more, Madam Pomfrey returns.

"Mattheo, dear, time to go to class. I'll take care of her."

Mattheo gives me a comforting smile then departs.

MATTHEO'S POV

As I leave the infirmary, all I can hear are her words over and over.

You hurt me.

The ball lands in my hand with a satisfying thump. I feel Malfoy's eyes on me as I throw it into the air yet again.

"Are you done?" He asks.

"Nope."

"Well then stop it."

"No."

"It's annoying."

"Why do you think I'm doing it?"

Malfoy catches the ball before it falls into my hand. "If you're so worried about her, just go see her."

I roll my eyes, turning away from him in my bed. "I told you. She's supposed to hate me."

"Well... she did just try to-"

"Don't even say it." I sigh.

"Riddle. You guys are so painfully in love. Just get together already."

I laugh. "Shut up, Malfoy. It's not that simple. You think my father won't have something to say about it?"

Malfoy stays silent. He finally has nothing to say. "Whatever. Night."

I don't reply, closing my eyes and drifting away.

VIENNA'S POV

I enter the common room, my heart threatening to jump out of my throat. Walking in, I see Haisley and Louis sitting on the couch, doing homework. I clear my throat ever so slightly. They both look up instantly, sincere smiles on their faces. Haisley gets up and gives me a long hug, followed by Louis. He wraps his long arms around the both of us.

"I'm sorry." I whisper into Haisley's hair.

Haisley pulls away so she can look at me. "Don't be. If anything, we should be sorry. We didn't know you were struggling."

I shake my head rapidly. "It wasn't your fault."

"Did Madam Pomfrey clear you?" Louis asks.

"No, I just left." I reply sarcastically.