TWENTY-SEVEN

VIENNA'S POV

Thankfully, Haisley was already asleep by the time I got into the dorm. Of course I wanted to talk to her, and apologise, but I was so tired, and my mind was so full. This random girl appeared, wants to talk to me about ex-boyfriend whom I have no memory of, has important information specifically for me and is seemingly related to Riddle.

I hardly got any sleep last night. I was wracked with feelings of guilt and confusion. But by 9:50 am the next morning, I was wide awake and ready to have my questions answered. Haisley had already left, presumably to follow our normal routine. Just without me.

I get dressed in casual jeans and a white shirt, then put on a sweater and a puffer jacket to keep me warm. I hurry down to the Quidditch pitch when I realise I'm late to meeting... um... fuck. It's a long and complicated name, give me a break. Something like Cedric and Gwen combined.

Thankfully the Quidditch pitch is empty today. It's easy enough to spot Cedric-Gwen in the stands, as she's the only person around. I dash up the stairs to her, practically collapsing on the wooden bench next to her. She closes her book and puts it down next to her, not looking at me. "I was wondering if you forgot."

"Well, clearly I didn't." I huff, "Before you tell me anything, I've forgotten your name. Terribly sorry, really, I'm just not good with names."

Sighing heavily, she holds her hand out. I stare at it, debating on whether or not I should take it. "Phone please."

Oh. I fish my phone out of my pocket and hand it to her, and she adds her number in. She passes it back. She's named herself, 'Ceridwen (keh-ri-dwen)'. "Wow, the pronunciation and everything. Thanks... Ceridwen."

"No problem. Right so, any questions you have for me?" She asks.

I'd been waiting for this since last night. I even made a mental list of the questions I had. But now, face-to-face with the opportunity for all those answers, I can't think of a single one. "Um..."

Ceridwen raises an eyebrow. "Surprising, I thought you'd have a lot. Can I-"

"So Riddle's your brother?" I interrupt.

"Yes, hence we have the same last name."

"He never told me about you." Or, he did and I just don't remember.

She crosses one leg over the other. "Not surprising. He doesn't like talking about me."

"Why's that?"

"Wants to protect me, or whatever."

"Oh."

"I actually have a question for you." She says, peering at me. "Why did you and Mattheo break up?"

"...We just fell out of love."

"That's such a lie. Tell me the truth, Vienna."

I glare at her in annoyance. "It is the truth. That happens, y'know?"

Ceridwen looks me up and down, then shakes her head. "Why won't you tell me the truth?"

I'm starting to not like this girl very much. "Fine. If I tell you, you can't tell anyone."

She holds out her pinky. "Pinky promise."

I shake her pinky, knowing she won't break it. If you don't take pinky promises seriously, there's something up with you. "I had my memory erased. Probably sometime over winter break."

"Is that why you have no friends? Or are you just unlikeable."

From the playful look on her face, I can tell she's kidding. I think. "Only Riddle was erased from my memory. Everything else, I remembered."

"Oh, interesting. So someone purposefully altered your memory just so you could forget my brother."

"Yeah. I had a strange conversation with Draco Malfoy that led me to believe either he or Riddle himself did it."

"Malfoy would never do that."

"You've already met him?"

"Think of my family, Vienna, really. And why would Mattheo do that? He was so in love."

I squirm at the thought of Riddle being in love with me. I hate thinking about it because it makes me feel bad. "Apparently he-"

"Vi, hey!" Someone calls.

I turn around, and standing at the bottom of the steps is none other than Aidan. I wave at him, and he climbs up the stairs to us. He sits on the bench a row above ours. "Ceridwen, this is Aidan. Aidan, Ceridwen."

Aidan shakes Ceridwen's hand. "Nice to meet you."

"You too. Sorry to be blunt, but do you mind stepping away for a moment? I've got something important to tell Vienna." She says.

He shrugs, about to get up. "Sure-"

Whilst they're talking, I happen to spot Haisley down at the Quidditch pitch, alone. "Guys, I'll be right back, I've got something important to do." I run down to the pitch, trying to catch Haisley's attention.

CERIDWEN'S POV

"Ceridwen, huh. What a unique name." Aidan says thoughtfully.

"Mhm. I used to hate it, but now I love it."

"What did you say your last name was?"

I narrow my eyes at him. "I didn't. It's Riddle."

He looks surprised. "Oh, Mattheo's sister! You look so alike, I should've known."

We don't look alike but I don't say anything. "Y'know, Aidan, I can't help but feel that you're familiar, somehow."

He smiles, but it doesn't reach his eyes. "You must've seen me around school already."

"Sure." Even though I've been here for like, two days. "That must be it. So how do you know Vienna?"

"We've been on a date. And I'm hoping to go on another one soon."

"I would congratulate you, but I believe Vienna belongs with my brother."

Aidan chuckles. "Of course you would think that. Vi hardly seems to even remember who Mattheo is."

Vienna comes running back up, clearly distressed. "Alright, Ceridwen, go ahead."

I clear my throat, looking pointedly at Aidan. "I'll wait for you down there, Vi." Aidan says, motioning to the pitch. She nods at him and he leaves.

"You need to be careful."

"What?" She doesn't seem to register what I said, her head clearly in the clouds.

"I overheard my dad talking with some of his... Death Eaters. He said he's going to send one of them, disguised as someone else, to try kill you." I say in a rush.

Conflicted emotions appear on Vienna's face. "Really? Why?"

"Because of Mattheo, obviously."

"Do you know who it could be?"

"It's a Death Eater named Avery. He could be anyone. A student, a teacher... an animal. That last one's unlikely though."

"Oh my God... thanks for warning me."

"Hey." I rest a hand on hers. "I'm gonna help you any way I can."

She grins. "Thank you."

"And my first step towards helping you is who I think it might be."

"Who?"

"Aidan."