NINETEEN

It's been a week since I talked to Riddle. Instead of us returning to our hate-hate relationship, he's ended up avoiding me. It hurt for a bit, but now, I've come to my senses. We're better off without each other. I've decided to take this time to focus on my studies, considering I'd fallen behind in classes.

It's raining tonight. Obviously, my first instinct is to go the Astronomy Tower. But I don't know if it's worth the pain. Going there would just kickstart all my memories with Riddle, and that's a lot to bear. But I need to see if he still cares, even in the slightest. 

So I go to the Astronomy Tower. Unsurprisingly, he's not there. I sit in my usual seat anyways, listening to the calming rain. It's therapeutic, really. I sit there for at least twenty minutes. It was the most peace I'd felt in a long time, and I was sort of grateful Riddle didn't show up. When my eyelids get so heavy that I can't keep them open any longer, I finally leave. My legs are stiff from sitting in the same position for such a long time, but after stretching them out, I manage to walk.

The rain's lulled down a bit, to a slight drizzle. Not wanting to head back immediately, I take a long route through the courtyard. And of course, the beautiful brunette is sitting on a bench, a white stick between his lips. I keep my head down, deciding to walk right past him. But I can't. 

"Riddle." I greet, stopping in front of him.

Lost in his thoughts, I feel bad for interrupting him until he replies. "Diggory."

"No Astronomy Tower tonight, huh." I ask stupidly. 

"Didn't wanna risk running into you there." 

"Ouch." I joke. When he doesn't crack a smile, I know something's up. I sit next to him. "Listen... I was hoping I'd get to see you tonight because I was wondering why you're being like this."

"Like what?"

"Withdrawn."

"You said you wanted things to be normal again. Plus, aren't you pissed at me for what I did?" He replies, taking a long inhale of his cigarette.

"I am. But I've found it in my heart to forgive you. This isn't normal. I meant normal like you teasing me. I meant normal like you making stupid sexual jokes about us. I meant normal like you being jealous..."

He doesn't say anything, so I continue. "Mattheo, I can't believe I'm about to say this but I miss you." Gingerly, I rest a hand on his thigh.

He flinches, then moves my hand off. "How are you not taking the hint? I just don't want to be around you anymore." He stands up, ready to leave.

"Is this because of your dad?" I ask, also getting up.

He turns around as fast as lightning. Darting forward he wraps a hand around my neck and shoves me backwards so I'm against the cold stone wall. He leans close. "Not everything is about my fucking father, alright?"

"So you just genuinely don't want to be around me?" I shoot back.

He laughs, but without a trace of amusement. "You wanna know the truth?"

"Please."

"I want to be around you all the goddamn time. I want to be able to fuck you 'till you can't walk the next day. I want to be able to walk around school with my arm around your waist so people know you're mine."

My mouth turns dry as he utters those words. "So what's stopping you?"

He glares at me. He knows I already know the answer to my question. Releasing his grip around my neck, he shakes his head. "Just stay away from me." 

"No."

"No?"

"Everything you just said, Mattheo, I want that too. And I know it's not about me, it's about your father. But if you want it just as badly, can't we make it work?"

He meets my gaze, suddenly interested. "Go on."

"It could always just be a secret thing." I suggest.

"Are you sure you want to do this? You know how dangerous-"

"Yeah, I do. But I can't fucking stay away from you any-"

He leans forward, kissing me passionately. I deepen the kiss as I wrap my arms around his neck. Pulling away, he leaves me gasping for air. "Why'd you do that?"

He smirks. "I wanted to know what you tasted like."

"Well? What do I taste like?"

"Like mine."

"Ms Diggory. Vienna. Vienna? Vienna!" Someone slams the wooden desk and I jerk awake. Professor McGonagall's staring down at me, a disapproving look on her leathery face.

"Sorry." I mumble an apology.

"Sleep like that one more time in class and it's detention." She warns, then goes back to teaching.

"What were you doing last night?" Haisley questions, an accusatory tone edging her words.

"Uh..." My mind flashes back to last night. 

Mattheo picking me up and carrying me to the Astronomy Tower. Him setting me down on the windowsill. Leaving hickeys along my neck as he pulls my underwear down. Ramming into me with his huge-

"Vi?" Haisley snaps me out of my trance.

"Um... I just didn't sleep well." I whisper back.

She eyes me strangely then continues to take notes. Thankfully for the remainder of the lesson I manage to keep Mattheo and last night out of my head.

I'm sitting in the library by myself, doing homework. I had so much to catch up on it was overwhelming. Someone comes up behind me and covers my eyes. "Guess who."

"Hmm... probably one of my many lovers. Louis? No... too low-pitched for him. Andre? Ah, shucks, forgot he got expelled. Haisl-"

Mattheo pulls his hands away and sits down next to me. "You'll pay for that." He smirks.

"I'd like to see you try."

"Don't make me make you scream my name right here, in the middle of the fucking library." Mattheo warns.

I shrug. "There's always next time."

He sifts through my many notes. "Falling behind in class now are we?"

"I'm still smarter than you." I retort, "No matter how hard you try, you'll always come second. My natural... smartness is no match for your cunning."

"Vienna, love, you don't need to tell me that." He leans close to whisper in my ear, "You proved you always come first last night."