Chapter 2

POINT OF VIEW
THIRD PERSON

The party has started and different people in suits and elegant dresses keep coming with wine glasses in their hands, talking and conversing with one another.

They're here to witness the retirement of a talented designer, Jennie's mother, as she needs to take time for herself and rest.

Jennie sits quietly in her seat watching the people ae9ind her, deep in thought. With her fingertips caressing the necklace's pendant, she stares blankly at them, thinking about the conversation she had with her friend Doyeon. All the questions, all the assumptions she had told her, it makes her think. Arguing to herself whether if Doyeon was right or not. She thought she had a point and she's in denial, but it was too soon to decide for that.

She doesn't understand what's happening.

Jennie looks down on the necklace, the small diamond touching her skin. Something made her pick it up from the ground where she exactly threw it and wore it around her neck.

At some point, she liked it and she doesn't even know why. She could'be just left it lying around in the room but she chose to pick it up.

Why?

The brunette releases a frustrated sigh, confused, bewildered and clueless. Her hand slowly gripped the accessory and pulled it off her neck, she stared at it and starts asking herself what could be so special about it when it does look like the usual necklace from the stores.

She picks up her own glass of wine and takes small sips. This may or may not making her bored but she wanted to be alone and give herself a moment to think about the things she doesn't understand.

She then spots her mother coming on a small type of stage, a platform, holding a microphone in her hand. She finds her mother beautiful with that white gown that her mom designed herself, with a little bit of her help. Her mother starts gathering everyone's attention and made sure everyone was listening.

Mrs. Kim quietly clears her throat, "I see you're enjoying this night, I'm glad. Before I start, I just wanted to thank everyone for coming here tonight, for accepting my invitation, I truly appreciate it." She smiles genuinely, "You're probably wondering why I arranged a party out of nowhere, I didn't even release a new collection or a new design, so why are we here?"

Jennie listened to her mom, looking at her with sad and hopeful eyes. She knows what she's going to tell everyone and this would be a shock to them as it wss to her.

"As you all know, I am retiring, as a designer and let someone else take my position." She stated and light chuckles, "I honestly don't know if this going to be helpful but this is the reason why we're in this party."

Everyone was focused on her, only her as others chat silently with the person next to them.

She inhales, "I am diagnosed with stage two breast cancer and I needed to stop working for the therapy," A medium murmur from the crowd erupted, mixed with shock and pity. "I was advised by my doctor to stop moving around and that I need to avoid getting stressed, so I have no other choice but to retire,"

Jennie could still remember the day when her mother personally told her that she had a cancer. She couldn't believe it, she always sees her mother healthy, not enduring any pain. She could only remember how much she cried that day, telling her sorry, that she wasn't there before she even got it.

She was mad at herself as she wasn't there when it first occured. As it only started a few days after she disappeared and only came back 3 months after. Of course, it will grow and expand as the day goes by and more if she doesn't get a therapy. This retirement party was Jennie's idea, her mom only wanted an announcement through news or internet but Jennie knows the job meant a lot for her mother that she couldn't just let it end like that.