09

ARIA

I threw myself face first onto my couch, feeling drained both physically and mentally. My entire day consisted of going around different jobs and handing in my CV with hopes of finding employment. It was hard – the pay was shit and the bosses were shittier.

I kicked my shoes off, and they nearly landed in one of my pot plants. Not bothering to retrieve it, I slumped further into the soft sofa and closed my eyes. I could have fallen asleep right there, with that uncomfortable fucking jeans still on my body. That's how exhausted I was. On a better note, my period had ended and that was the biggest relief.

My head was throbbing, and just as I was about to fully relax, a knock emitted from my door.

A groan of complaint came from my chest, hating that my silence was being disturbed.

"Who is it?" I didn't bother lifting my face, but I was scowling and my voice was muffled by the couch. I had no doubt that whoever was on the other side had heard me clearly.

"Who else would it be?" I recognised Tammy's voice. I scoffed a small laugh, having an idea of who else it could be. Sluggishly, I pulled myself up and huffed my hair out of my face.

I swung the door open, and immediately I was engulfed by a strong and comforting hug. I laughed when she held my head to her chest, cradling me as if were a baby until she finally let go. Only to hold me at arm's length and inspect my face.

"Are you okay?" she asked, scowling down at me.

"I'm good. Stop stressing about it," I said, stepping aside and letting her into my apartment. As usual, she made herself at home and headed straight to my fridge for a bottle of water. When she was done chugging, she wiped her mouth and placed her ass on the counter.

"That's good water," she said, swinging her feet nonchalantly. I mumbled incoherently under my breath and sat on the barstool besides her.

"What's that?" she asked, not hearing me but I just shook my head dismissively.

"Nothing," I muttered, leaning my elbow on the counter. "Shouldn't you be in work?"

Tammy's lips tightened, before her eyes suddenly widened. "Oh, I have to tell you something. This fucking bitch..." she went on to ramble about a certain co-worker who had been purposely sabotaging her files in an attempt to disorganise her.

I didn't know the full story but Tammy sounded pissed...and not just about the files. I saw right through her rage, even when she jumped off the counter and started pacing around the kitchen. I could tell that there was something else bothering her.

"She sounds like she needs to be reported," I mumbled, staring out the kitchen window. All I saw were grey buildings and a grey sky.

"She sounds like she needs to get her ass beat," Tammy snapped, a frown on her forehead. I narrowed my eyes at her, observing her. It didn't take long for the scowl to disappear and a look of sadness to replace it.

"Tammy," I said, shifting in my seat as I scooted closer to her. "What's wrong?"

She looked away, not saying anything and that only managed to worry me more. I chose my next words carefully, but of course, I blurted out the question without thinking.

"How are things with you and Elijah?"

And then the floodgates broke.

"Great. Amazing. Awesome. Fucking Dandy." With sarcasm laced in her tone, she threw her hands in the air and continued pacing around my tiny kitchen. She was heated, and it was evident in the way her cheeks started to splotch with redness. Her pale skin was a dead giveaway of how she felt.

"We broke up. He's too...jealous and possessive and I'm too much like him. We argued too fucking much and he said some things he wasn't supposed to say and I left," her voice cracked, and her eyes filled up with tears.

She turned away, but I got up and wrapped a comforting arm around her shoulders. She accepted it, giving me a small but sad smile. My heart ached at seeing my friend upset.

"After all this shit...finding out who he was. What he was. He hid his true self under the guise of a fucking CEO and I understand why he would do that but I was supposed to end it when I found out. I should've left when he said I should and now I'm hurt and there's nothing I can do about it," she rambled on, stumbling over her words quickly and hastily.

By the time she was finished, she was panting hard but there was relief on her face at finally getting it off her chest.

I pursed my lips, not know what else to say other than, "fuck him."

She looked at me surprised.

"Huh?"

"You're allowed to be sad but I'm not going to sit here and tell you to crawl back to him. You deserve better than that." Was I being a terrible friend?

"I should forget about him?" she asked, but the question seemed directed at herself.

"Has he reached out to you, yet? Called you and apologised for whatever he said?"

There was silence before she answered, "no."

"Exactly."

Another daunting and long-stretching silence, almost to the point that I thought she was mad at me until she spoke again. "I hate that you're right," she murmured, throwing her head back and staring at the dull ceiling.

"So, are you-"

"We should go out tonight," she interrupted me, grabbing me on the shoulders with a wild look in her eyes. My nose scrunched up into a scowl, already having the no on the tip of my tongue.

"Absolutely not," I shook my head, cutting off her request immediately. I was exhausted, and I wanted to sleep for at least ten uninterrupted hours. Going out would be a hindrance I didn't think I could handle, especially with knowing how drunken Tammy acted.

"Come on. Please," she grabbed my hands, bouncing on her feet as she pleaded. "You want me to forget and this is the only way."

"Tammy. That is not the only way. I'm tired and I'm not in the mood for people," I could feel my argument weakening, slowly giving in to the brown puppy eyes she directed my way. I sighed in defeat, but I couldn't help but roll my eyes and smile when her face broke out into a big grin.

Just like that she had me in the shower, mentally and physically preparing for the night ahead.

• • •