Chapter 8

Hazel's POV

I did what everyone would do, froze in my place. I tried to move but my body wouldn't listen. The knife was only an inch away when something grabbed my wrist and pulled me out of the way. I was about to scream when a hand grabbed my mouth. I started kicking whatever was holding me. "I'm so sorry about this!" It was Jennie. I was about to ask about what, but something poked through my skin. I glanced over and a syringe was pushing liquid into my blood stream. My vision went blurry and I felt myself being carried away. My vision soon went from blurry to black.

To my surprise, I wasn't haunted with any dreams. I awoke to the smell of burning plastic. I sat up and banged my head on something above me. I opened my eyes to see a boy rubbing his head. "Ow! You could've waited to sit up when I woke you up!"
"Calm down, Peter." I glanced over at Jennie, it looked like she was packing up camp. How long was I asleep? I looked around for my backpack. "Why did you save her? How is she better then Kendra?" He looked like he was about to burst into tears.
"Peter-"
"Don't Peter me! You could've saved her, but instead you save-"
"Peter Isaac James!"
"Ugh!" He turned and stormed off. Jennie glanced at me. "I'm so sorry. It's just he... His girlfrie-err friend was in there too. I-I could only save one.." I looked down. I couldn't imagine how he felt... He walked back, his eyes all red and puffy as if he had been crying. He was holding my backpack. "Here." He said as he threw me the bag. Everything was quiet for a long time, so I decided to take this as an opportunity to ask, "What's that smell?" They both looked at me as if they hadn't noticed it before. Jennie took a deep breath and shrugged. "I don't smell anything." She looked over at Peter who shook his head. "Hey, you had a rough day. Lets get you home, uh... Where do you live?" Jennie asked me. "Um..." I pulled out the note from my backpack and read the address. "7509 west vineyard lane." Peter stared at me. "What?"
"7 5 0 9 west vineyard lane." I said a little slower. They exchanged glances. Jennie looked me straight in the eyes. "Impossible. That's where we live."