Chapter 17

Annabeth's POV

We soared around for what felt like hours. When we finally reached the Roman camp, we landed right outside the gates. One of the Romans immediately opened the gates and let us in. "We have some news. We need you to come with us. It's about Frank." We hopped off of Festus and followed them. What about Frank? We walked into a small building and saw Percy and Jason sitting at a desk. They looked so glum. "Hey seaweed brain!" I said tackling him in a hug. "Hey Annabeth..."
"What's wrong? I heard they got news on Frank!" Percy closed his eyes as a tear escaped. A long silence fell after that. "Oh no. Please tell me what I'm thinking is wrong." Percy glanced up at me. "When are you ever wrong? Hazel called.... She said.." Percy's eyes started watering more. "She had to. They were going to torture him...." I didn't know what to say. I felt my eyes getting watery as well. "She.... lit his stick?" Percy nodded. I broke into a sob.

Piper's POV

I glanced at Leo through my glazed vision and saw that he was trying to hold back his sobs, but it wasn't working that well. In a few minutes we all couldn't cry anymore so we sat there for about an hour. Not talking. We just sat in silence.

I apparently fell asleep because someone was shaking me to wake up. It was Leo. "Hey beauty queen." He said weakly. "Getting some early beauty sleep?" I sighed and stood up. "Where is everyone?" Leo shrugged. "I dunno. I may or may not have fallen asleep as well...." He gave me a smile, not his real one though. He was trying to lighten the mood. I returned his smile. "Should we go find them?" I asked. "Sure." He said. Then we walked out of the building and onto the streets of New Rome.