Chapter 16

Hazel's POV

I slid the match box open and grabbed a match. I lit it and held it up. I pressed it onto the stick. I glanced at Frank, my sweet Frank. He didn't do anything to deserve this... Nothing.... I looked into his eyes, so full of life... And I was going to take that away from him... He closed his eyes as a tear trickled down his cheek, then he said, "I love you..." And then his breathing stopped. I looked at my hand and realized there were only ashes left. A scream escaped my lips as I dropped the match and fell to my knees and I sobbed. "What have I done?" I asked myself over and over. I turned towards the man. All of a sudden something clicked inside of me. I stood up, and unsheathed my sword. "You can't hurt me." He said. I smirked at him, though I wasn't the slightest bit amused. "Watch me." I started stabbing him multiple times all over his body until he lay paralyzed on the floor. "Next time," I started, "remember this day." I turned and walked to the door. Suddenly I stopped. I turned back around. "Yah know what? I don't think you should get a next time!" I ran towards him and stabbed his chest. Suddenly, the walls lifted and I ran to Frank. I stuffed my face into his shirt. I turned to see the men who were beating him, and they dashed away. I cupped Frank's face with my hands. "Frank.... I'm so sorry.." I started sobbing again. "Why couldn't we just have a normal life... together?" I hugged his lifeless body. I looked at his face and planted a kiss on his lips. "Frank.. I never deserved you.. I know that now.. But why you? You never did anything wrong.. Why couldn't it have been me?" Suddenly I felt footsteps behind me. "Hazel?" I heard Peter say. I turned around and looked at him. "What happened?" He asked walking over. "I-I did this... They were whipping him-" I broke out into another round of sobs. "Shhh... It's okay... I understand. You did what you had to." I slowly took the knife out of Frank's arm and held it tightly. "Hazel?" I closed my eyes. "It was this or-or all my f-friends..... both camps.... and-"
"Hazel, it's okay." He sat down by me and Frank. "Listen, I'm sorry about what I said before. I was just upset. One thing I know is they are happy, they are in Elysium. Both of them. And we have to make sure to be heroes, cause they are waiting for us." He had tears in his eyes. Now I knew how he felt. He lost Kendra, and I lost Frank. He embraced me in a hug, then took the knife away. He sat it beside Frank. I looked at Frank's face one more time. "Goodbye Frank....." I whispered. I stood up and made my way to the door. I heard Peter shuffling along behind me. I creaked the door open and ran to Jenni. "Why him.... Why him...." I said. I couldn't make myself stop crying. "Sweetie, it's okay." I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. "C-can you guys tell me how to use this?" I asked holding up my phone. "I.... would like to tell my friends that......" I held back a sob. "....that he's gone."