𝟹𝟶. 𝚍𝚊𝚝𝚎 𝚗𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝

Nini's pov

"So where are we going?" I asked as I looked out the car window. 

"That is something I won't tell you." Ricky smiled at me while driving. 

I found out yesterday that I will have to do a project with Brett. And I can't even change partners. Believe me, I've already tried it. So I'm stuck with him. 

The problem is, I didn't tell Ricky. Yet. I will tell him, I just don't know how. I don't even know if I should tell him today. I mean, I don't want to ruin our evening. It hasn't been him and me alone for so long, this is our first date since we're back together and I want it to be perfect. And I know that if I tell him about Brett, it won't be. 

"Hey, is everything okay?" I heard his voice. 

I just gave him a weak smile. "Yeah. I guess I just have a lot on my mind right now." 

"Well..." he said as he grabbed my hand. "What's on your mind?" 

I thought for a moment, wondering if it was a good idea to tell him now. "It's nothing. I'll tell you later."

"But if it's important-" 

"No." I interrupted him quickly. "It's not. Trust me that is not important to me at all." 

It's true. Brett is not important to me, I want to be with Ricky, I just don't want to hurt him. That's all. 

If Kourtney heard me now, she would tell me to be a little selfish. To think of myself and what I want and what makes me happy. And that is Ricky. And she would tell me not to worry about someone else's feelings because if I didn't decide right now, I would hurt all of the three of us. 

And I don't just think that, she really told me. 

Kourtney and Ashlyn were with me before I left the house and they told me all this... and more. 

They told me it would be best if I just was honest with everyone.... if I honestly tell Ricky about the project and honestly tell Brett that I don't feel the same way as he does and I never will, and also to be honest with myself and admit that everything would be better if I didn't hide my and Ricky's relationship. 

What can I say? I have smart friends.

"We're here." he said and I immediately looked where we were. 

But we were in a place I didn't expect... 

Ricky's house.

"You know... since people don't know we're together yet I didn't have much choice on where to take you. So I had to think a lot to figure out how to make this our second 'first date' special. But I've learned that everything is special as long as it's with you." 

Ok, I have the sweetest boyfriend in the whole world. You can't disagree with me. You just can't.

When we got out of the car I made my way to the door, but Ricky went somewhere else. "Where are you going?" I asked not understanding. He didn't answer just smiled and continued walking. So I decided to follow him. I walked until he stopped at their backyard near a big old tree. The smile still didn't leave Ricky's face. I looked at him blankly, but then I looked up and I immediately understood. There was an old wooden tree house built by our parents when we were about seven years old. 

"Come on." Ricky said quietly, and then I began to walk toward the ladder. 

I had flashbacks from our childhood... Ricky always let me go up the ladder first because little Nini was afraid she would fall so he waited down on the ground until I was up and if I fell he would catch me. I smiled when I saw that he did it now, even though so many years have passed. 

My smile became even bigger when I was at the end of the ladder. 

It wasn't the old house I remembered... it was full of pillows and blankets and my favorite snacks. There were lights on the ceiling and mine and Ricky's polaroids on the walls. 

"Wow." I whispered to myself. 

"Do you like it?" he asked me as he climbed up. 

"Ricky..." I started but I didn't really know how to continue. I was speechless. 

"I know it's not something that special but since we can't go-" he didn't finish his sentence because I interrupted him with a kiss. 

"It's perfect."

"I'm glad you like it." he smiled at me. "And also, I have your favorite pizza." 

"And you will eat it too?" I raised an eyebrow as I laughed. 

"What? No, definitely not. It should be illegal for pineapple to be on pizza." 

"Hey, I like it." 

"Yeah, because you're weird." 

"No I'm not."

"Yes you are! But that's a good thing... I love weird people. Especially one of them." 

"Really? And who is this weirdo?" I asked him. "Because you can tell that freak that I won't let her steal you from me." I laughed but he didn't. He just stared at me with a huge smile. 

"God, I love you so much." I heard him whisper. I couldn't help but smile as I pulled him into a hug. 

"I love you too." I said when I pulled away.  

"And this date is also my way of saying sorry for our little fight about Brett." I froze when I heard his name again, knowing I would have to tell Ricky something about him. "It was stupid of me to be so jealous."

"No, your feelings were valid."

"Okay, we won't argue about that anymore. It's over and neither of us will have to talk to Brett ever again." he smiled at me hoping I would agree. But I knew it can't be true.

"Ricky, I have something to tell you." I said, not looking into his eyes.

"What's up?" 

"I have to talk to Brett." I answered simply.

"Why?"

"Yesterday in English class Mazzara told us that we will have to do a project and we have to do it in pairs and..."

"And?" he raised his eyebrows, hoping I wouldn't say what he thought I would say.

"And I have to do the project with Brett."

"What?" he said shocked. 

"I'm sorry but it's not my fault, I didn't want t-" 

"And you can't change partner?" 

I shook my head. "No, I've tried." He rolled his eyes at the sign that he wasn't okay at all with the information I just told him. "But Ricky, it's just a project, nothing more. If I talk to him, it will only be about the book we have to read." I explained to him. "Please don't be upset, I don't want Brett to ruin our date." 

"He won't." He forced himself to smile. "I trust you. And that is why I will try to tolerate that you will spend time with him."

"Thank you." I smiled at him genuinely. "And now... do you want a piece of pineapple pizza?" 

I laughed when I saw his reaction. "Ew no!" 

"What do you mean 'ew'?" I bit into a piece of my pizza. "It's literally the best thing." 

"No thank you, I'd rather have some chocolate." 

...and then we spent our whole evening like this. We joked and we laughed and we ate. I love moments like these. I hope it will be like this forever.

——————
There are only two types of people. Those who love pineapple on pizza and  those who hate it.

Sof ♡