Questionable Food (ch. 4)

George's POV

That picture is the most accurate representation of the lunch at my school especially the "pizza" which was what we had the other day at my school. 

As I looked at the taller of the two boys I noticed his green? eyes probably green I thought. His hair was a dirty blonde color and honestly he was pretty good looking. Before I stared for too long at him his friend, Sapnap, started talking.

"Can we sit here?" Sapnap asked rather politely, which I thought was quite interesting for whatever reason.

I didn't want to leave them hanging so I replied before I could even think about what I was saying. "No," I thought for a less then a second and realized what I had said. "Wait- yes, sorry I didn't actually think about the question." I mentally face palmed for being so stupid. Was I nervous? Why would I be nervous? Is it because of Dream? Shit, that would be bad.

Dream laughed quietly, probably because of how stupid I sounded, and then sat down across the table from me, next to Sapnap. I smiled at both of them slightly and did my best not to mess up talking again, I was already embarrassed enough.

"So are you new to this school?" Dream questioned.

"yeah," I replied, somewhat blandly.

"I like your accent," Dream said, looking slightly embarrassed afterwards. He looked like he was doing his best to hide it but was trying to make it not obvious, it was quite intriguing. 

As much as I tried not to, I started blushing, it wasn't much but it was still there. Luckily it was quite warm in the lunch room so if they asked I could always blame it on that. My thoughts were all over the place from the compliment, it made me happy. Even something as simple as I like your accent made me happy. Not being misgendered yet was also making me happy though. I actually was having a good day.

I totally forgot he had said something and quickly responded, "Thank you." Luckily I didn't mess up this time, unlike the last time I spoke too quickly without thinking. 

I was pretty confused as to why they were sitting at the same table as me. They looked popular and I thought I was doing a pretty good job blending in with everyone else, so I don't know why they would want to be talking with me. There are so many other people at this school they could be talking to. A lot of them are probably better and more interesting than me anyway. 

I let the curiosity get the best of me and decided to ask. "Aren't you guys like- popular?" It ended up sounding slightly awkward but at this point it is what it is.

Dream responded, he had been the only one talking so far, who knows why. "Yeah, kind of," he paused for a second. "I guess you could say that."

That answer made me even more curious. "Why?"

Sapnap answered this time. "Because we're on the football team and apparently all the girls think Dream is hot," Sapnap paused and then said something about boys under his breath, I didn't quite catch it though. I laughed quietly at what he had said. 

Clearly Dream didn't think it was funny and heard whatever Sapnap had said because he playfully pushed Sapnap. "Shut upppp."

This made Sapnap laugh even harder practically dying of laughter. Dream butted in again in response to what Sapnap had said earlier, "American football by the way."

This only added to my confusion. Why would they hang out with me? They could hangout with basically anyone at this school, I'm probably the most boring person. "Then why are you talking to me? this seems like one of the American high school movies where the popular kids beat up kids like me." It was probably a bit of a stretch since most movies aren't realistic but it still worried me slightly, what if this was a set up to beat me up later on, I wouldn't know.

Dream laughed at my comparison, "I'm not gonna beat you up, I just need more friends other than this asshole." He punched Sapnap's arm lightly which resulted in Sapnap feigning hurt and giving Dream a weird look.

"Makes sense." 

Sapnap looked bewildered at what his best friend and I had just said about him. "What the fuck?!" 

They seemed like pretty nice people and I'm not gonna lie Dream does look pretty fine. As I was lost in thought I realized I had gotten quite hungry and looked down at my food. Apparently I hadn't really paid much attention to it because it was not the most appealing... thing? I picked at the... pizza? I can't even tell, for a few seconds before looking up at Dream and Sapnap. "What kind of food is this?"

Dream laughed slightly, "School lunch."

"Well it doesn't look like real food, did they put like a million chemicals in it or something?" 

Sapnap joined in again. "It probably isn't real food honestly," he paused and then continued, "You get used to it though, it doesn't taste as bad as it looks."

"Well it looks very... interesting." I picked at the food for a few more minutes before trying it. Sapnap was right, it doesn't taste as bad as it looks. Although that doesn't mean it tastes good, but it's not as gross as I thought it would be. 

"What's your schedule?" Dream asked me. 

"Uh- I don't know, hold on." I grabbed my backpack from behind me and looked through it before pulling out my schedule. "First period I have with both of you, second period I have with Dream, third period I have with Sapnap, fourth period I have math with Mrs. Baker, fifth period I have PE with Mr. Watson, and 6th period I have literature with Mrs. Williams."

"oh cool, I have the same 5th and 6th period," Dream responded, he looked pretty excited to be in my class which was also exciting for me.

We talked about random things like hobbies, favorite things, and why I moved. It was fun and I enjoyed it. We talked for the rest of lunch which seemed so short when in reality it was fairly long compared to my old school's lunch break. I ate my lunch as we talked and occasionally picked at it. 

The bell rang minutes later and I said my goodbyes to both Dream and Sapnap before heading off to find my next class. It was Math. Sadly, it was with both of my brothers. I guess I was just smart enough to be doing college level math, 2 years ahead of the average junior math level. 

Since my brothers were only one year ahead they somehow got put in the same math class as me. I was definitely not looking forward to being in the same class as them everyday. My plan was to just sit as far away from them as possible even if that meant sitting in the front row. 

A/N

Word count: 1152

Not gonna update this weekend so take this today or Friday (idk yet) instead. I wanna try posting 2 times a week but it all depends on motivation. Also its really helpful if you vote and read!!!! That's all for today I think :)))) Also! please correct any spelling/grammar mistakes in the comments its very helpful for me to know, I probably won't see them as rude at all unless you're just saying I suck or something (idk lmao).

Finished: 2/3/22 2:24 pm
Posted: 2/4/22
Edited: 11/2/23 8:22 pm