Uno! (ch. 10)

TW's: none!

George POV

As I was contemplating my "many" options for my binder, I was interrupted by Dream as he flopped backward from his sitting position onto the bed and gazed up at the ceiling, speaking during the process, "I'm tired." It was a short but simple statement, usually used as a conversation starter. I have memorized just about all of the common phrases by now. They come in handy in awkward situations.

"Want me to read you a bedtime story?" I ask, smiling as I spoke.

Dream let out a soft chuckle before turning his head to look at me while he spoke, "What do you want to do?"

"It doesn't matter to me."

"We could play a board game?"

"Sure. What game?" It's been a while since I last played a board game, I enjoy playing them I just haven't had the chance to anytime recently. I used to play them a lot when I lived in England but I spent most of my summer unpacking things, setting up my room how I wanted it, and stressing about going to a new school in America. This place is scary.

"How about Uno?"

I hesitated for a few seconds, "Yeah, sure." I probably- no definitely shouldn't have said yes but I was currently feeling very confident that I could figure it out. Even if I couldn't figure it out, he doesn't seem like the type of person to make fun of me for it. Plus, if we're going to date he's just going to have to get used to it.

Dream nods and walks out of his room to acquire the Uno cards, I spend the short 2 minutes he's gone looking at some of the decorations he has hung on his walls, very boring. I think he should hire me to decorate his room, it would look 10 times better.

I look at Dream as I hear the door swing open, Uno deck in hand while opening the door it's the other. He shuts the door behind him before sitting back down on his bed across from me, setting down the deck of cards between us in the process.

As Dream started setting up and dealing out all the cards, there was a long string of very loud and continuous knocks that you could probably hear across the whole house. The knocks were followed by what sounded like a fairly young child yelling, "Clayyy!" I looked at Dream with confused expression but was met with no answer.

Dream responded quickly, both of us growing annoyed by the loud and continuous noise, "Go away!"

Clearly this didn't satisfy the child as he was still yelling, "I have a questionnnn."

"Ask later, I'm busy. Now go away."

"Fine."

Dream finally caught on to my confusedness (definitely a word. I'm actually not even sure) and explained, "My real name is Clay, I just go by Dream but my family still calls me Clay because that's like my birth name." He's not the only one with 2 names and some family members who still call them by their old 'birth name'. We're actually quite similar, just in completely different ways.

"Ohh, that makes sense. I didn't think about that for some reason," I responded as I played a card. He just nodded his head and played his card.

The game went on for a few minutes with no issues, every time there was a green or yellow card I either guessed correct or changed the color. I wasn't really sure why I didn't tell him I was colorblind, there isn't really a reason not to but I didn't and it's probably going to bite me in the ass at some point. It was really just a game of luck at this point and I was focusing more on trying to play the right color than stopping him from winning.

A few more minutes went by and this time I had no way of changing the color and this specific card for whatever reason I could not tell the color of. I decided to take a guess, playing a yellow card on top of his possibly yellow card. I looked at his face for a reaction and wasn't surprised when I was staring straight at a very confused Dream.

Dream didn't move his eyes off of me as I slowly put the card back in my hand. There was a very obvious blush evident on my face and I wasn't sure if it was from Dream staring at me or from embarrassment. Both were very plausible explanations.

Dream finally ended the silence, "Are you colorblind?" He paused, then quickly added on, "Not in like a mean way- I'm just wondering."

"Yes," I said sheepishly, "I played the wrong color, didn't I?"

"Yeah. I played a green card and you played yellow."

I pulled out a green card from my hand and placed it down on the pile. "I'm pretty sure that one's green."

Dream responded by nodding his head, smiling softly at me.

"Are you red-green colorblind?"

I nodded my head, responding, "Yes... How do you know?"

"I get bored and research random things or have random hobbies for a little while and then abandon them for the next few years and move onto the next thing. At some point I was researching color blindness. Not sure when but I think it was a while ago," he rambled on.

"That's cool."

"Yeah, it's like an ADHD thing, hyperfixations. It's kinda fun because I know how to do a lot of random things."

We continued playing the game as we spoke, "You have ADHD?"

He smiled while laughing softly, "Could you not tell?" he paused before continuing, "I feel like I'm not that great at hiding it."

"Not really."

"That's probably a good thing."

I shrugged while speaking, "I don't mind."

We spent the next hour playing our game of Uno on Dream's bed while chatting and Dream ended up winning but only because I'm colorblind, no other reason.

A/N

Word count: 1003

I'm back ish. Thank you for 3k reads! I really appreciate it, as well as the star vote thingies. I've been busy with school, work, homework, my 2 TikTok accounts, family, and friends recently and haven't had much time to write :(. Hopefully I'll get back to writing more soon now that school is almost out but no promises again 😅.

6/12/23 10:11pm