Partners (ch. 6)

TW's: none!!

3rd person

The day had started similar to the day before, waking up, getting ready, arriving at school, and making his way to his classes. It was already 2nd period and George was sitting in the back corner of his class per usual. As he waited for the rest of the students to find their seats and quiet down George stared at nothing in particular, getting snapped out of his thoughts every 10 seconds from students walking by or talking too loud. 

He continued to space out until someone sat down in the seat next to him and spoke, "Hi." This fully snapped George out of his daze, forcing him to look to his right to see who was talking. Dream had been the one to speak, not surprisingly as that was one of the only people George knew in this class. 

"Hi," George responded. The school bell rang shortly after he spoke, making both George and Dream look up to the front of the classroom. The teacher had already made his way up to the board and was staring at a certain group of kids in the back corner of the classroom with a frustrated expression. It was obvious that they were being too loud for his liking.

Once the students had all quieted down and turned to the front of the class he started speaking, "Today we will be starting a big project that will be due in a week and a half, on the 17th." He paused for a few seconds before continuing on in a louder voice. "You will be assigned a random partner and there will be no switching."

He continued on explaining what the project was about as well as the requirements that would need to be met in order to receive full credit. Most of the kids weren't paying attention in the slightest but somehow still managed to know what was going on. The teacher walked through the isles of tables handing out a copy of the instructions and grading rubric to each student. 

When he had finished passing everything out he went back up to the front of the class and got the students attention before starting to speak, "I have all of the groups ready so when I call on you if you aren't already please sit next to your partner." 

The teacher called a few groups before getting to George who was patiently waiting for his name to be called. "George and Dream..." He continued to call names while George looked over at Dream who was already looking at him. They were already sitting next to each other so they didn't need to move seats. 

It took the teacher a little bit to get through all the names on his list and make sure everyone was sitting next to their correct partners but they got there eventually with some time left in class. George paid attention to what the teacher was saying about not having enough time in class to do it and that they would need to work on it at home while Dream was zoning out and staring at George 90 percent of the time. 

Once everything had been explained and the teacher sat back down at his desk George looked at Dream and noticed him staring. Dream quickly looked away from George realizing he had been caught staring and then looked back acting like he hadn't been caught. "It's a good thing we at least kind of know each other," Dream said, doing his best to fill in the awkward silence that had fallen between the two. 

George just nodded in response, not really wanting to speak much. Dream didn't mind and continued talking to him, "So I guess we should probably start working on this since it's like a big project"

This comment made George laugh quietly for whatever reason before responding, "Probably."

"I like your laugh," Dream replied, instantly cringing inside realizing he was basically flirting with a boy who for all he knows could be a ruler and not the bendy type, the straight ones.

George's thoughts were jumbled and all over the place in his brain but he still somehow managed to form a coherent response, "Thank you, I would say the same but I don't think I've ever heard you laugh before." 

"You'll definitely hear it at some point, it's... very interesting," was the response Dream decided on in the moment. It was true, that Dream had an interesting laugh. It's more like a tea kettle wheeze than a laugh which is what makes it interesting. 

The conversation topic was switched by George, "We could work on the project after school sometime, I'm free today and tomorrow after school."

Dream thought about his schedule for that day and the next day before responding, "I have football practice tomorrow after school but I think I can today."

"That works do you want to come to my house or..."

"Uhm probably your house," Dream decided on after remembering how annoying his siblings could be.

"Ok, I can give you a ride or I can give you my address," he paused. "Whichever one is better."

"Either one works."

"We can figure it out after school. We have the same 6th period so we can figure it out after that." 

Dream just nodded his head in response to George. 

The rest of the school day carried on a little bit quicker than the day before due to George starting to adapt to the new school and city. 

A/N

Word count: 908

Wow I actually posted again *insert shocked face* I know I said in my last chapter I was back but apparently I wasn't since it's been like 2 months or something which is why I'm not gonna say it this time. Thank you so much for almost 1000 reads, that's actually insane!! I also just found a carpenter ant crawling on the sweatshirt I'm wearing and I looked it up and it say that they BITE. I killed it so hopefully more don't come in my room and bite me in my sleep.
Update: It's the next day and I don't think they bit me so we're all good (maybe). 

future me: this teacher was supposed to be male but for some reason I wrote him as a female in this chapter but not any others so I changed it

Finished: 6/19/22 10:37 pm
Published: not sure, I edited it at some point so it say Jan. 2023 but that's not right
Edited: 11/2/23 8:36 pm