25. My Dear, You're In For a Shock

Losing a parent was hard. Being the reason behind their death was worse.

* * *

Though I wanted to avoid talking to Ashar, his face was irking me too much.

He was sitting on the sofa in our room finishing last minute things from work on his laptop. I approached near the table and stood with my arms criss crossed. He looked up and started to say something, but I raised my hand to tell him to hold it in.

"I know how important your sisters are for you," I told him. "They're your responsibility, and you want what is the best for them. In fact, you jumped into this contract with me for them. I get it. I come from a wealthy background without any siblings. So, maybe I don't understand you."

"Ano—"

"I'm not finished," I cut him off. "I'm not looking for an apology or explanation. You have the right to give your sister permission or deny her. I don't care. All I'm saying is that if we're going to be in love and be civil to each other, don't bring up the 'rich girl' excuse for everything. I don't call you a serf. You don't bring up my background. Clear?"

He nodded.

I didn't wait to make any more conversation with him. I didn't want to hear any other harsh things from him tonight. My eyes felt heavy forcing me to change and go to bed before nine.

Ashar left the room with his laptop in his hands. He thought I was asleep and turned the light off on his way. Though I appreciated the gesture, his behavior brought me sorrow deep down. Did he seriously believe I was too rich to understand him? Was being human not enough to understand someone's feelings?

Was I getting attached to him?

No bloody way.

Sleep made me forget everything and I thanked the heavens for that.

* * *

The following morning when I woke up, Ashar had already gone to work.

I stayed under the warm covers not wanting to greet the cold air waiting to hug me. It didn't last long because my phone started ringing.

"Hello?" I said groggily.

"Were you sleeping?" asked my sweet cousin.

"No, Jhanvi," I said after a yawn. "Why are you calling me so early?"

"Didn't you ask me to do a background check on your husband?" she asked.

I quickly sat up. "Did you find anything?"

"Sweetheart, you're in for a shock," she said in a lowered voice. "Let's meet up, so I can tell you everything in detail."

"Why don't you come over?" I suggested. "Ashar's at work and his sisters are at school. You can meet grandma too."

"Grandma's with you?"

"Yeah, I quit my job, so I have time," I explained. "I brought her here and spend most of my day with her."

Jhanvi confirmed she was heading over before hanging up.

I got up to clean up when I noticed a solid white plate with a two inch border of cream floral design belonging to my mom's china set. One eclair sat horizontally pushed towards the top of the plate. Underneath it, someone had written "sorry" in neat cursive using chocolate syrup.

I had to chuckle at Ashar's apology.

I wondered how he had gotten that plate. He ought to have snuck into the kitchen and grabbed the prettiest plate. My mother would kill him with her bare hands for styling her precious and antique china set with chocolate.