31. Breaking News

31. Breaking News

People always remember those who were by their side during hard times and those who were not.

***

"It's an emergency."

"Ashar, this isn't related to our conversation last night, correct?" My mother stared at Ashar as if trying to communicate something telepathically.

I wondered what conversation had taken place between these two.

Ashar and I had joined her in the living room of my parents' house. Mom sat with a cup of coffee while we drank tea. Technically, Ashar hadn't touched anything and jumped straight into the point.

"Correct," Ashar said carefully. "Unfortunately, my father is on his death bed. His wife said doctors gave him less than a week. Trust me, I don't want to go. But I promised my mom I would go burn his dead body when the occasion arose."

I blinked at Ashar amazed by the harshness in his demeanor. By the way he spoke, one could assume he was more than willing to burn his dad alive.

"I'm sorry to hear about your dad's condition," I said.

"Don't be," he said coldly.

"I hope he isn't in pain and suffering," my mother agreed. "How long will you be gone?"

"One month, at least," he said. "I have to sell off some properties in mom's name. These properties were passed down from generations. Mom never went back to India to sell them. I have to do that now."

I watched him from the side as he sat on the sofa next to me. The lack of sleep from last night showed under his eyes. He hadn't bothered to brush his hair so it fell over his forehead in a rather attractive and messy manner. His face was smoothly shaved and I could smell the same fresh scent radiating from his body as this morning in Aara's doorway.

He suddenly turned to me. "What?"

"What?" I repeated confused.

"You were staring at me."

"I'm not staring!" I denied immediately as my cheeks heated up at being caught. "I was . . . wondering . . . what I'm doing . . . here. You and your boss always discuss everything on your own and then call me in to sign the documents."

I almost sighed in relief at the lie I made up on the spot. Mom rubbed her forehead. Ashar looked at her for a response. I didn't dare turn my eyes on him again.

What's wrong with me?!

"When are you planning on leaving?" Mom asked him, ignoring me.

"In the next few days," he replied.

One month without Ashar?

Once upon a time, I wanted my calendar Ashar free. Now, one month seemed too long. Thirty days. Twenty four hours every day. That was sixty minutes per hour for those thirty days.

Mom discussed the rest of the details with him before we left the house. Him leaving me with his sisters wasn't a horrible thought. Aara, Rosie, and I could spend time at the spa, buy more clothes, watch movies amd make movies.

But no Ashar in the same room as me.

His decision to go to India was driving me nuts. I told him to drop me at my uncle's house on the way back. I wanted to check on Jhanvi and her food poisoning. Also, she was the only person I could share this breaking news with. The rest of my friends would never understand.