29. Terminate the Contract

Right when I think she's changing and that she's not a bad person, her actions prove me completely wrong.

* * *

After I explained the events to Jhanvi and my grandmother, silence fell in the living room.

One of the maids brought us hot tea with chocolate chip scones. I had zero appetite so I didn't touch anything.

"Annie, I'm sorry," Jhanvi said, putting her hand on top of mine. "I don't know why Ashar would assume you set his sister up. He's an idiot."

"No, he's not," I said. She raised an eyebrow. "I did something stupid in the past. He thinks I'm still trying to get at him for marrying me."

"Are you?"

"Of course not!"

Jhanvi's eyes flickered to Granny as if she contemplated her words. I wondered what was going on in her mind.

"Listen, I talked to Josh Campbell about what happened to his car," Jhanvi resumed. "He seemed shocked and kept asking whether Aara was fine or not. I told him we'll cover the car damage, but he said not to worry about it."

"Good," I said relieved. "I didn't want them to report a stolen vehicle or something. Thank God, she ran into Roshan, not someone else. They would've called the police on her for a high driver."

"I'm surprised Roshan didn't," Jhanvi said.

"He said she was saying my name, so he called me first instead of the police."

"Right," Jhanvi said with a shrug. "Anyway, I talked to Mr. Campbell about someone bringing drugs into the party. He said he'll be getting that investigated. Hopefully, we can figure out why Aara was targeted."

"Thanks so much for doing this for me, Jhanvi."

"Anything for you."

"Here, have one." I pushed a scone in her hand. "This is the only payment I have for you."

"Gladly accepted."

She drank some green tea before tasting the fresh scones.

I was about to help myself to the tea when the scone dropped from Jhanvi's hand and she slapped her hand on her mouth.

"Are you—" Before I could finish, she was already running across the room to the half bathroom. The whole house heard her vomiting.

I looked at the scones suspiciously.

Had Cecily or someone else added something to it?

I looked at my grandmother who was staring in the direction of the bathroom. She had eaten one without throwing up. I told one of the maids to bring some water as Jhanvi returned with a pale face. Her hair stuck to her forehead with tiny beads of sweat.

"Are you okay?" I asked worried. The maid handed Jhanvi the glass of water.

"I'm fine," said my cousin. "I got food poisoning two days ago. Ate some bad fish. I'm still recovering. Sorry for ruining your breakfast. I'll go home and get some rest."

I tried to stop her and ask her to stay but she picked up her purse and car keys and ran away.

"What's up with her?" I asked granny.

My grandmother sighed and sipped her tea.

I sat by her side and watched the front door. The doctors had given Aara sedatives. I wasn't sure how long they'd keep her under observation.