12. Slightly Remorseful

Instead of it being August, I'm changing it to late November. So, pretend when Aara was doing summer homework, it was her regular homework. I know I'm being obnoxious and un-credible, but it's necessary. I'm sorry :(
_________________

12. Slightly Remorseful
Home is where the heart is. My home and heart has long been burned into ashes.
* * *

To say I was furious would've been a great understatement.

It was well past midnight--an hour since our return--and Ashar still hadn't come upstairs to our room. Leaving him alone with that irritating maid wasn't the best decision on my part. The only reason I was agitated was due to the disturbance he'd create when Ashar comes in the room. Otherwise, I'd be sleeping peacefully.

Light on my heels, I snuck down the stairs and tried to listen to the faint voices.

Hey, it was my house.

Eavesdropping was my right.

"Don't trust her, Ash. She always ends up dragging you in awful situations," I heard Cecily say softly. Was she talking about me? Who else? "How are you even going to explain your bruises to your sisters?"

"I'll just say someone attacked us out of nowhere and I had to fight to save me and Ano," he replied.

He thought he was some action film hero?

As if I'd ever need his help saving myself from goons and whatnot.

"Don't you get tired of lying constantly?" she asked. What did Ashar lie about? Except for the contract. "Why do you even put up with the Princess? Does she pay you--"

He was definitely not my prostitute.

Cecily thought that low of me?

"Cecily, don't," I heard Ashar warn. "My relationship is my issue, not yours. And it wasn't even her fault today, but my own."

Thank god, the serf realized that.

"Then you shouldn't have gone," she replied. "You cancelled our friends' night out for her."

Oh really?

So, she was the mysterious date.

Their voices lowered to the point where I couldn't form any coherent words. Capitulating, I retreated back to my room and waited for Ashar, who entered five minutes afterwards. He was all patched up except for the discolored skin.

"You're still awake?" he asked.

"Just thinking about what happened today," I said calmly. "From now on, no more parties or social events."

"Agreed," he said and headed across the room towards the bathroom. "Ruined the entire Friday night," he muttered.

"Next time, don't bother cancelling your date for me," I said. Laying down on my bed, I tugged the blanket over my head and turned to the side to avoid facing him.

"Is it your natural instinct to be crabby after midnight?" he asked in a frustrated tone.

"Yes." When I didn't hear another word, I added, "I have work tomorrow, so don't make too much noise."