32. The Sound of Dhols

Our timing was impeccable to say the least.

***

I packed my suitcase once Jhanvi texted me my uncle had booked our tickets to Brazil. She sent photos of the tickets she bought for us for India. Both flights were at the same time tomorrow. The India flight was the same flight as Ashar's except we were to travel first class.

It classified us as first class liars.

At the end, we decided that it wouldn't make much difference to our parents if we went to India instead of Brazil. We were going to be far away regardless.

I was being crazy stupid for chasing after Ashar all the way to India and somehow, it seemed reasonable.

"Ashar," I said aloud. "How long are you planning on giving me the silent treatment?"

He was busy packing last minute things for the flight tomorrow. His suitcase was packed three nights ago, but that was more in haste. He was taking time packing his belongings neatly on the sofa ten feet from my bed. I was shoving my makeup kit in my overflowing suitcase.

He barely lifted his eyes at me before returning to his packing.

"Come on," I said trying to get some response. "Aren't we supposed to be truly, madly, and deeply in love? You're ignoring like I'm a . . . scam call."

"That's exactly what you are," he said finally. "You try to lure people in with lies and do fraud."

That was the longest sentence he had spoken to me since our meeting with mom.

I gave up closing my bag and went up to him. He zipped up his bag.

"Do you believe I'd hurt Aara?" I asked him calmly. "I don't even know what drugs were found in her bloodstream. Actually, where would I even find a drug dealer in the first place? You might think little of me, but I'm Ravi Majhraut's daughter. I wouldn't stop this low to hurt someone else's daughter with a bag of cocaine or something."

He met my eyes briefly and then he bent to close his suitcase. When he rose back up, he held my gaze.

"Heroin," he said.

"Huh?"

"That's what the doctors found in her blood test."

"The trustees are trying to figure out who's responsible for this," I assured him. "Once the culprit is exposed, you'll know I'm innocent."

"Why's that important?" he asked, his eyes narrowing in confusion.

"Because . . . " I trailed off not knowing how to tell him how important his feelings were for me.

"Because . . . ?"

"I don't want you to question the way my parents raised me."

He almost laughed. "I didn't see you caring about that since the day we got married."

"You always expect the worst from me," I said disappointed. "Trust a little."

"You expect me to trust you after what you did?" he asked. "Even if I believe you for a moment you're not behind Aara's condition, you can't justify your actions for getting my history."

"I'm sorry," I said surrendering. "It was a while ago, Ashar. You were secretive, and I . . . wanted to know a little more about you . . . and your family. I shouldn't have done that. I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry, too," he said solemnly, "because I can't let this go."

He put the suitcase on the floor and laid down on the sofa.