41. Cold Showers

41. Cold Showers
May God save me.

* * *

Jhanvi woke up early which made me jerk awake as well. Our body clocks hadn't adapted to the Indian time zone yet.

I texted Ashar to switch spots with Jhanvi. He hadn't answered my call. It was difficult to know whether he was awake or not. She went to the bathroom and I could hear throwing up. After she returned, I sat in my bed with the blanket wrapped around me.

"Why don't you tell Sunny about the baby?" I asked her as we waited for Ashar.

"I called him the day I found out," she said coldly. "He never answered nor returned my calls."

"The day he came to India he fought a milkman for you," I said.

"I thought I knew him, Annie," she said as she took a seat next to me. "After coming here, I realized I didn't even know his name. He changed his name from Arsalan to Sunny at some point before we met. He never told me. He told me his parents were dead and he was an only child. All these lies, Annie."

"You would've never found out anything had Ashar not said anything that day at the party," I said feeling horrible for her. "You might have been living a better life now."

"I'd rather be miserable with the truth than live in a relationship built on lies."

"Maybe he thought you'd leave him if he told you the truth." I didn't know why I was taking his side. "Ashar never told me anything about his parents either."

"You had an arranged marriage and he didn't lie to you," she said frustrated. "My love marriage is a complete lie. Sunny will find out when the time comes. For now, my baby and I will survive together."

At least she was more concerned about the baby now.

She rose up hearing footsteps. There was a light knock on the door and she opened it slowly.

I stretched my neck to see Ashar entering in. Jhanvi waved me bye and hurried downstairs. Ashar yawned as he closed the door. With half closed eyes, he walked across the room to grab a set of clothes and entered the bathroom.

Either it was the early morning grumpiness or something else, Ashar didn't acknowledge me. I immediately remembered last night and buried my face in my hands. My cheeks heated up for no reason.

I picked up my phone. While Ashar was in the bathroom, I kept the blanket wrapped around me and snuck to the rooftop. It was freezing cold but I sat down on the concrete terrace, my back against the wall.

I called Aara first.

She answered quickly and I checked up on her health and recovery.

"I'm fantastic now" was her response. "Grandma is teaching me and Rosie how to knit. I made a scarf today. I'm making a pink sweater for you!"

"That's sweet," I said pleased. "What should I bring back for you?"

She told me a list of things for her and Rosie which I noted in my Notes app. I talked to Rosie for five minutes before she ran off to watch her cartoons. Aara and I talked for almost an hour until we decided we'd continue the chat another time. It was dinner time for them.

I took a chance and decided to call the one person I feared.

"Finally" was the first thing mom said when she picked up. "Did you forget your mother, Annie?"

"It's hard to get network here," I lied.

"Where are you?" she asked immediately.

I paused, contemplating whether someone had exposed my whereabouts to my mother.