19. Divorce

19. Divorce
I hate him . . . Okay, maybe not so much anymore.

Ashar and I were awoken suddenly by the sound of the heating system jerking back to life. All the lights turned on.

I sat up straight yawning and stretching my muscles.

Ashar jumped to his feet and checked the windows. Snow mobiles and plows could be heard.

"I think your mom sent us a car," said Ashar. I joined his side to find out he was right. My ancient driver stood outside the black Porsche tapping his foot as if running late for a date.

Ashar and I wasted no time heading outside where signs of life were apparent. Snowmobiles were clearing out the main roads and intersections. Ashar told me he'd drive his own car and I could go with the driver. I was tempted to join him but decided against it.

Just because we spent a decent evening together didn't warrant for extremely nice behavior.

I slept in the car again and reached home before Ashar. This time, I waited for him to arrive to go in together.

"Why are you standing in the cold?" he asked when he saw me on his way in. "No one opened the door?"

He frowned and knocked hard.

"I thought we'd look better going in together," I said honestly. "For your siblings' sake."

He didn't have time to show his astonishment as Cecily opened the door. She raised an eyebrow at her friend but said nothing.

We hurried inside to find Rosie playing with my grandmother and Aara reading a book.

"Good morning," said Aara before going back to her novel.

"Ashar!" Rosie leaped into Ashar's arms with such excitement that one would've thought they hadn't seen each other for years.

I went and hugged my grandma. "I'm sorry I left you stranded. Are you alright?"

She gave me a thumbs up and blew a kiss at Rosie followed by one for Aara.

"I love Granny, Ashar!" Rosie said loudly. "Look, she made me a hat! It's so pretty!"

Rosie showed off her glittery pink crochet beanie proudly. In fact, Aara wore something similar but in periwinkle blue.

Pools of sparkly yarn sat by my grandmother's feet along with crochet needles. She was in the process of making another beanie as far as I could tell.

I felt a pang in my heart.

My grandma only ever knitted clothes for me.

While Ashar explained yesterday's events, I took the opportunity to clean up. We had forgotten to return the costumes we used as makeshift blankets, and I knew they had to go back ASAP if I wanted to keep my job.

My phone screen lit up with a message from my director about rescheduling today's shoot for tomorrow. Roshan and I had to push everything around and check actors' date and availability again.

I had put my phone on charge and once it had enough battery life, it was spammed with various other texts from friends and family. Sunny's apologies, Roshan's inquiry about me ditching him, mom, mom's secretary etc. One was from Jhanvi asking if we could meet soon.