During Jean's Surprise

The final arc isn't quite ready yet but I didn't want to be updateless. So I managed to conjure up two shorter chapters to make up for it.

This one takes place during Jean's Story Quest btw

•••••

"Hey, uh.. Miss Lisa?" You ran towards the Librarian whom you caught site of as you returned to the city. Panting and out of breath you still tried your best to talk out of concern of the news you just heard. "Amber just told me that Master Jean collapsed... Is she okay?"

"Ah you don't have to worry yourself to much, (Y/N). Fortunately traveler was there so they were able to get them to the cathedral right away." Lisa explained, allowing you to nod and calm down a bit.

"It seems everyone's already split her work among themselves." You recalled the other things Amber told you as she passed by. "Damn, if only my patrol didn't take longer, I'd have taken some too."

Lisa smiled and giggled. "Well (Y/N), actually I have something in mind for you..."

You perked your head up and looked at the librarian eagerly. "What is it?"

"Well you see..." She began to whisper into your ear. Felt a bit weird but you had to focus on what she was tellinf you.

She then fills you in on a surprise party for the Acting Grandmaster. Something to make her have fun for a bit after she'd probably get back to work the moment she wakes up. With everyone else busy with clearing up Jean's workload, the preparations themselves have less man power. As Lisa continues to tell you their plans she slowly drags you along inside the tavern. This was a weird scenario as a woman just casually brought you inside a bar.

But obviously what you'd think wouldn't be happening because this is not that kind of story. Instead, the Librarian brought you beyond the counter and into the kitchen. You were a bit concerned at how casual she entered a most likely employees only area. But when you turned to look at Diluc who was tending the bar, he didn't really paid it no mind.

With a box of ingredients you were given the task to make some food. Chosen by what the Acting Grandmaster likes. You were a bit just thrown into it, but since you did offer the willingness to help out with whatever you can, I guess this would be fine.

"Rather, I'm surprised Master Diluc allowed the knights to use this place as a venue."

"Well as much as that man despises us, I doubt there'd be any room of doubt if it was something where our Jean is involved." A mischievous smile across Lisa's face as she eyed out the kitchen to where said person was.

"Well I still have some work to do. So I'm leaving this all to you~" Lisa fluttered her fingers goodbye.

You scanned the list of food you were to make. Thankfully it didn't seem like a lot. There were also some recipes provided in case the person cooking didn't know how to.

"Hmm, I never made a pizza from scratch before... Hope I don't mess this up." You braced yourself as you sorted the needed ingredients with the recipe in hand.

You were off making the food. Doing the ones that take longer to finish first so you can move on to the others while its cooking. You were hard at work for about thirty minutes in, and it was starting to feel a bit of strain. You never really had experience cooking multiple meals, you don't think you'd survive if you worked at a restaurant. But as you focused you never noticed someone come in.

"Hey (Y/N)! What are you making?" Amber skipped to your side. Causing you to flinch a little in surprise.

"Oh Amber... I'm just preparing the soup. While the pizza and roast are cooking... Ah actually I should have started the Sprat first!" You were starting to get a bit confused.

"Woah. You need some help?" Amber looked at you concerningly, she took out the recipes and lit up. She took out her gloves abr washed her hands "Mm! I know I'll prepare the veggies for you!"

You had to finish stirring up the soup before you could look over. When you did you were met with Amber holding a head of lettuce and a big knife.

"Wait Amber!" You panicked thinking how she might cut herself. But your concern was proven wrong as she as cutting it pretty properly with closed hands and steady movement.

"... What?" She looked a bit agitated. She pouted and looked back at the lettuce. "Have some more faith in me, geez."

"Hehe, sorry." You smiled and laughed. "But I guess, you really have gotten better haven't you?"

You started to be a bit nostalgic at how she used to fail at cooking. But of course being there through her journey of improvement it would be unnatural if you didn't see her change.

"Heh, I'm getting better by the day! Soon (Y/N) I'll surpass you and become the #1 cook in Mondstadt too!"

"Well I'm pretty sure there's more than just me to pass for you to earn that."

The two of you chuckled. Having Amber there really did help you get through things smoother. There were even moments where if she wasn't there to point it out, you might have ended with a suspicious dish. And finally, with some of the food let out to cool. The two of you were finally finished with the last two dishes.

"Wow! This one turned out really great!" Amber admired her own work, smelling the fragrance that was emitting from the pan. She took a spoon and grabbed a bit and turned to you. "Hey hey! What do you think of this?"

"Oh actually, I was gonna ask you the same thing." You say as you grabbed a fork yourself and took a small. Piece from what you made yourself.

The two of you approached each other with a utensil in hand. Amber was reaching to feed you while opening her mouth for what you were about to let her taste too. You were also doing the same.

"How did it go (Y/N)? Jean will be here soo-" Lisa and Kaeya entered the kitchen just as the two of you were about to put it into each other's mouths.

"My, suddenly it feels like a wedding reception in here." Lisa blushed as she savored the view.

"Wow, I can't believe you didn't invite us. I'm hurt." Kaeya covered his mouth to keep himself from bursting into laughter.

"" We were just tasting the food! "" The two of you said in unison