ꜰɪꜰᴛᴇᴇɴ » ᴛʜᴇ ʙɪʀᴛʜᴅᴀʏ ᴘᴀʀᴛʏ

𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒇𝒊𝒇𝒕𝒆𝒆𝒏: 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒃𝒊𝒓𝒕𝒉𝒅𝒂𝒚 𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒕𝒚 ━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━

𝐅𝐑𝐈𝐃𝐀𝐘 𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐒𝐔𝐑𝐏𝐑𝐈𝐒𝐈𝐍𝐆𝐋𝐘 mild and not rainy. The stiff and cold breeze was the only thing reminding the group of college students that it was still fall despite them being able to see a few stars high above the skyscrapers they walked in between. Grace had another rather short dress on, this time a crimson red one she borrowed from Linh. Her feet were still in the same white sneakers she usually wore for nights out, and her shoulders were warmed by her standard coat.

The others had dressed up as well. Linh in a black skirt and shiny silver top, Mai in a dress similar to the one the blonde was wearing, only that it was dark green. The deep color made her skin glow, and Grace couldn't help but notice how Jake, who had insisted on picking the girls up at the sister's apartment, side-eyed the Viet quite often, his cheeks flushed. Peter had thrown on a button-up, sleeves rolled up to his elbows. They all looked good, Grace noticed, and she began hoping that with a little bit of booze, the night would turn out amazingly.

"Tonight will be legen—wait for it—dary," Linh sighed as she happily walked next to her best friend, her hands in the pockets of her black puffer jacket. The blonde just laughed at the anew How I Met Your Mother reference and nodded.

"Jesus, Gracie, we'll get to the booze," the black-haired girl giggled upon realizing how tense Grace had been for the past few minutes. The closer the group came to the bar owned by Jake's uncle, the harder it got for the young woman to remain relaxed. The possible risk of encountering the Professor again was always flashing through her mind. And, alongside that, the question of what the hell she would do if she did meet him there.

"Hopefully," she eventually groaned, a playful smile on her lips. This night out was supposed to be about Mai turning twenty-five. Not about some weird anxiety that'd overcome Grace.

"Remember," Jake said, turning around to the two from where he was walking next to Mai, hands repeatedly touching by accident, "Tonight, the booze is not free till midnight, Grace."

His joke made everyone laugh, including Peter, who'd walked behind the group, making himself invisible until that moment. Linh turned to him and stopped walking, leaving Grace alone between two pairs of people who were obviously flirting, Mai and Jake more obviously than Linh and Peter, who showed her some funny message on his phone.

"Jake Wilson!" she heard Mai laugh, as probably did the people across the street. Hearing both of her best friends laugh at guys' jokes like they were the funniest people alive left the young blonde both content and sad. Because no matter how much she wanted her friends to be happy, she felt more lonely than ever at that very moment. Which ultimately led to her decision of letting go of her stiffness that night. She didn't want to be the anxious, easily embarrassed Gracie anymore.

The bar was again busy, having started off more than just well a few weeks ago. Outside, smokers lined the brick wall, some sitting on the lowest step of the fire escape that ended next to the entrance. Grace's glance fell to the alleyway a few yards away. Her guts instantly twisted at the upcoming memories. But then, she was basically pulled inside by her friends, and as soon as her lungs were first filled with the stuffy, hot air inside, her wish for some cocktails or shots grew larger instantly.

The five students left their coats and jackets on the wardrobe before walking to the private booth Jake had guaranteed them, not without him greeting the bouncer with a fist bump. Discreetly letting her gaze drift across the crowded room, Grace almost bumped into Mai when she slowed her walk.

"Shit, sorry," she let out, and Mai smiled, taking her hand.

"Hey, I wanted to thank you for being here," she loudly said over the strong bass of the music, "I know going out's not your favorite."

"With you guys, it is."

And with that, Grace felt more at ease than before. Because it was the truth. Mai let go of her friend's hand, placed a peck on her cheek, and grinned down at her affectionately before turning back to Jake and the other two, who had been walking together the entire time now.

"I'll be right there!" she eventually yelled, motioning to the nearby entrance to the bathrooms. Jake was the only one who'd heard her, turned around, and nodded, letting her know he would inform the others. Without a further word, Grace rushed to the thick curtains that secluded the little hallway behind it, where three doors led to the men's and women's restrooms. The last door had a sign on it. "Staff only." The young blonde quickly slipped into the girl's bathroom to calm her quickly beating heart, make sure her dress was properly covering everything it was supposed to, and maybe even use one of the toilets.

As she walked past the mirror after leaving one of the stalls, she noticed how flushed her cheeks were. She was miraculously all alone in there, the only sound other than her breathing was the muffled music from the dancefloor. With wet hands, she patted her heated cheeks, hoping to get rid of some color like this, and eventually dried it off with a few paper towels again. She was in desperate need of some booze. Maybe that would finally let her forget about the everlasting thought―or was it hope?―to meet the Professor again.

She went back out, almost bumping into a guy strutting past her to go to the men's room, and took a deep breath before sliding the thick, red curtains aside again, letting herself back into the hot, busy main room. Flickering lights in all colors illuminated the people in the rhythm the music purported.

After the first round of drinks, the group decided to go dance. Grace didn't understand how they felt the need to do so with barely any alcohol flowing through their veins, but she didn't want to be the only one left behind in the booth. So, she ended up dancing in the busy crowd, grateful that the first drink had given her enough confidence to do it at all.

And there it was again. The loneliness after seeing both Jake and Mai and Linh and Peter dance together, barely ripping their gazes off one another. The need to let go. She whirled around, her body moving to the beat. She felt a few eyes on her, felt how her dress was almost sliding up her thighs, how her hair swayed along to the music. The moment was intoxicating, admittedly, and Grace felt the nervousness fade along with the surroundings—if only she could feel that way without alcohol flowing through her veins...

Her mind was caught up thinking about how free she felt. Then, her eyes found a familar shape by the bar. In shock, she gulped, slowing her movements to the point where her body was frozen on the dancefloor. A certain someone was sitting at the bar, staring at her through clear baby blue eyes, his beringed fingers grasping his whiskey glass tightly.

Oh, God.

━━━━━━━━━━━
♡𝒅𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒈𝒆𝒕 𝒕𝒐 𝒗𝒐𝒕𝒆♡