Chapter Three

It's been a couple days since I first found Mina. She's starting to come out of her shell more and more each day. Ella and I have both got to see her playful side. Even though she can't walk with that giant cast on her leg, Mina's still a ball of energy.

Her favorite thing to do is build with the legos Ella bought her. Mina has a huge imagination. We can play for hours with those legos, especially because we're still in the hospital.

I've also learned that her favorite food is applesauce or any type or fruit. Ella bought the squeeze pouches of applesauce, and Mina ate the whole box within a couple hours. She's a messy little thing too.

My wife had to buy a couple bibs for her because her shirts kept getting ruined. I don't mind, but Ella is a clean freak. She's going to have to get over that since Mina is going to come home with us today.

We had that talk with Mina last night and she's excited to come home with us. When we told her we had a cat, Mina immediately wanted to see pictures.

I pulled out my phone to show her a picture of our fat tabby cat, Clifford. She squealed excitedly and wanted to go home right then and there.

Ella had to explain that we're waiting on her last round of IV into antibiotics to finish. That put a small, adorable pout on her face.

"Autumn!" A tiny voice yells from beside me.

My head turns and I smile at Mina. She's dressed in a white onesie, a pink ruffle skirt, and a single white Mary Jane shoe. The onesie had to be ordered online, but all the other clothes were bought in store. Mina may be small, but there's no onesies that'll fit her.

My wife and I have taken notice that Mina's completely diaper dependent. She constantly has accidents and Ella thinks it's trauma based.

Whoever Mina's birth mother is, she failed her own daughter. I'll make it my life's mission to find out who she is and make her pay.

Ella's been keeping track of her injuries so the police have records of them. It helps for when we eventually press charges.

"What's up, sunshine?" I ask.

"When's Ella comin?" She inquires while staring at the door.

"Soon, baby. We have to be patient."

Mina pouts, but nods her head. She's been getting really close with Ella lately. I'm glad to see them building a bond. It was a rocky start, but Mina looks forward to seeing her now.

The door to the room opens and Ella comes in. She walks straight towards Mina and lifts her up. "There's my girl!" My wife coos.

The little girl squeals excitedly and wraps her arms around Ella's neck, pressing a kiss to her cheek.

"Thank you for the kisses, love bug."

Mina smiles widely and points to the bed where her books are laying. Those came from the nursery at our house and Mina loves them. We've had the nursery for a while, but it has never been used by another little girl.

"Welcome." Mina nods and doesn't let go of Ella.

My wife shakes her head fondly and makes her way to my side of the bed. She leans down and presses a brief kiss to my lips.

"How has our baby been?" Ella asks as she bounces Mina in her arms.

It causes Mina to laugh, the sound warming my heart. It's much better than her tears. Whenever she laughs, I remind myself that my wife and I did that. Little by little, we're helping Mina find her happiness.