Chapter Twenty-Nine

Autumn POV:

Mina is currently sitting on my office floor, coloring her little heart away. She's humming happily while she scribbles with her pink crayon. It's still early in the day, around ten o'clock. Ella and I had a hard time waking her up for the day. My sunshine just wanted to sleep in and snuggle with Clifford.

I don't know how that fat cat is finding it's way into her nursery at night, but we've been catching him in Mina's crib. He sleeps snuggled up with her. Clifford doesn't even like to sleep in the bed with Ella and I. I'm just happy that he's smitten with Mina.

Ever since her birthday about a week ago, it seems like those two are attached at the hip. I even found her trying to put one of her dolls tutus on him. He just sat there, tolerating it.

"Mama?" Mina's quiet voice asks, breaking me out of my thoughts.

Spinning around in my office chair, I face my little girl asking, "What's up, sunshine?"

Ella dressed Mina today. She's looking adorable in her pink summer dress. Her hair is done up in two pigtails, pink ribbons tied around them. "I want my fruit."

"Okay, baby. I'll go get your fruit. Do you want to come with me?" We had to put some food in the office fridge for Mina. She always wants to snack when she comes to work with me. I have no problem with it, considering that she still has some weight to put on.

"Yes, please." Mina stand up, limping towards me. The walking boot is huge on her leg, making her walk funny. At home Mina usually crawls around, but she can't do that at the office.

Mina still regresses when she comes into work with me. She just stays in a older headspace. She's around eight or nine right now. I think it's perfect because she physically looks that age. There's been a couple times where she's dropped lower, but nobody's questioned it.

"Alright, let's go." Standing up, I offer my hand to Mina. She grasps my hand in her much smaller one as we leave my office.

My shy little girl, clings to my side as we pass my coworkers. She hasn't really warmed up to any of them yet. They're all sweet to her, but Mina is just shy in general. It's to be expected, considering her past.

"Here we are. Get your fruit and your string cheese. Mama's going to make herself another cup of coffee." 

Mina let's go of my hand and limps towards the fridge. She grabs her snacks while I pour my third cup of coffee. My back is turned when I head a voice say, "Hello, little one. What's your name?"

I turn around to see one of my male coworkers crouched down in front of Mina. She's frozen like a deer in the headlights, shaking like a leaf. I'm quick to rush over to her side. I lift her up in my arms and rock her slowly.

My sunshine doesn't do to good with men. Plus, Chad is a creepy dude. He hits on every woman in the office without a care as to who hears. I'm surprised HR hasn't said anything to him yet.

"Is she okay? I didn't mean to scare her." Chad says, straightening his frame to his full height.

"She's fine. Mina just doesn't like men." I explain.

"It's probably because she has no father figure in her life. Two women adopted her, of course she's going to be scared of men."

My eyes practically get stuck in my skull with how hard I just rolled them. I don't even dignify his words with a response. I just grab Mina's snacks, leaving my coffee behind since I can't carry it along with Mina.

Chad moves to stand behind me as I leave the kitchen. I can feel his eyes on my ass as I walk away. "I don't like him, Mama." Mina whispers in my ear once we're back in my office.