Halo: A Warning

Sometimes you just know when your friends are in danger. Other times you're just so blinded by their happiness that you can't see the danger for what it is.

Nee-loo and I met up a bit later and I could see her staring at some guy over her shoulder. It looked like she was trying to be nonchalant, possibly hoping I wouldn't notice. He stood in the hallway watching her, possibly watching over her. But not like an 'I'll protect you' kind of way. It was more of a 'you're mine' kind of way. I appreciate that she found someone she liked, but no so much the way he looked at her.

"Nilla, that guy is staring at you."

"Yeah. That's the guy I was going to tell you about earlier."

"That's the guy!" I was just so flabbergasted. How could she not see?

"That's what guy?" I swear Ali materialized out of nowhere. She stood tall on her toes to see over Nee-loo's shoulders to get a glimpse.

Ali and her brother, Steven, may have been twins, but they were far from twin-like. While Steven kept up his jock-like appearance, Ali was always changing hers. Her hair changed almost daily. She particularly favored a deep crimson color and she had it short and parted to one side so that it looked like a spiky folded over mo-hawk.

Some people would avoid her because of the way she dressed too, depending on where we were. She usually favored deep purple and black colors and often wore colorful tutus with a black leather skirt under it along with a cotton shirt with a white skull print in the center. I wasn't entirely sure how many skull shirts Ali owned, but I was pretty sure she had at least one to match every hair color du jour.

"Cute guy, but there's something off about him," Ali said sort of matter of fact.

Nee turned to her, eyes narrowed, lips in a hard line. "What's that supposed to mean?" The look on her face scared me a little. It meant that she was serious about this obvious danger.

Ali held her hands up in surrender. "Whoa, calm down. I merely meant that I feel something different about him, something...I don't know. I guess you could call it otherworldly, like he's not meant to be here."

"Be where?" I asked prodding for any information. "In this school? The city?"

"I can't be sure. I only saw him for a moment and from such a far-off distance. My guess is more along the lines of from this country, maybe even the continent."

"You're just jealous my guy is so awesome." Nee pushed away from us.

"My guy?" Ali raised an eyebrow condemning Nee's words.

"Aw, c'mon, Nee-loo," I tried to sound playful. "You know you can't deny Allison's remarkable powers of perception. She's a true psychic." Ali and I may not have been as close and Nee and I, but I did appreciate her astute senses.

"This true psychic can truly be psycho." Nee seemed real proud of that one.

"Not technically," Ali interjected ignoring the off-color remark.

She started walking angry meaning Ali and I had to move our legs faster in an attempt to keep up, Ali more so than myself.

"I was simply taught how to use something we all have," Ali continued. "You've both used it before yourselves, you just didn't know what it was or how you did it. Like when your mom was really sick that one time all the way over in Japan, Nilla. You hadn't talked to her in like two days but you knew she was very sick."

"In any event," I said hoping Nee would listen to reason, "you should listen to whatever advice she has to give because she's never wrong."

"Never say never," Nee huffed.

We continued in silence for a few moments until reaching the classroom and sat next to each other by the large window overlooking a beautiful park. I took my seat beside Nee and Ali sat behind her. I didn't want to corner her about this issue, but if I wasn't the only one with a bad vibe, we had to try something.

Nee released a large sigh of surrender. "I'm sorry, Ali. I guess I'm being irrational."

"There is no rationality when it comes to love," Ali responded. "I didn't say he was dangerous, only that he was a bit off. I want you to be careful around him, is all. You're my best friend."

"Hey!" I protested knowing full well she would never consider me to be her friend, let alone bestie, but we pretend for Nee.

"Excuse me," Ali said. "One of my best friends."

"Thank you," I nodded.

Ali chuckled and turned her attention back to Nee. "I just don't want to see you get hurt."

Nee nodded. "I understand. He's just so...I can't explain it. I know there's something strange about him, I'm not that dense. I knew it when I first met him, but I couldn't tell you what it is. But he just draws me to him in a way I've never felt about anyone before in my life."

"You ladies talking about me?" Steven stood beside Nee's desk with that same goofy grin he always seemed to have. That sweet guy had the biggest crush on Nee, but she either didn't see it, or didn't want to see it.

"No way," Ali said. "Get away from us. We were having girl talk."

"About some boy? Is he as handsome as I am, Nilla?" Steven flashed his most dashing smile which made me smile. Nee started smiling too. Ali just rolled her eyes.

"Get out of here!" Ali gave her brother a good shove but he didn't budge an inch being so much taller and covered in lean muscle.

"Or what, you'll tell Mom on me?" he teased.

Nee started to giggle. Steven was a very charming boy and very much her type if she'd just open her eyes to it.

"Why are you even in this algebra class?" Ali asked.

"Oh, don't you know? I thought you were supposed to be some kind of psychic." He poked at her forehead.

"It doesn't work that way and you know it, Steven."

"Alright class, settle down." The algebra teacher walked over to get their attention. Seems class had started.

We all rolled out a series of "yes, ma'am" and "sorry, ma'am."

Steven quickly apologized and flashed that brilliant, million-dollar smile of his. She melted, naturally. There isn't a woman alive that can withstand that smile of his. He sat at the desk in front of Halo and Mrs. Dukat went back to the blackboard to teach us something.

After a few moments, when it seemed like she was into whatever she was teaching—none of us were really paying attention—I leaned over and whispered.

"Hey, you ever reconsider your feelings for...." I tilted my head towards Steven.

Nee shook my head. "No, I don't like him that way. He's sort of like family after all these years."

"But he's super cute."

"Well, then you date him."

I stifled a laugh. "So not my type. Besides, we've been friends since the dawn of creation and I know that you feel something for him. I wouldn't do that to you."

Mrs. Dukat turned to us. I quickly picked up a pencil to copy a few of the examples on the board and she turned back to teaching.

"How did you meet this guy anyway? What's so special about him?" Ali asked.

"Just a few days ago while I was out taking pictures," Nee said. "He talked and sort of acted like royalty or something. It was strange, but wonderful at the same time."

"And now he's stalking you," I said.

"He's not stalking me." Nee said defensively being much louder than I'm sure she intended.

"Ladies," called Mrs. Dukat. "Will I need to separate you?"

"No, ma'am," we said in unison.

We all decided to remain silent, but I watched her. We all did. I even caught Steven's eyes from time to time, though I suspect he was looking for a different reason. How could I explain everything that was happening and why I felt the way I did? She might turn against me or call me a freak or something.