Nilla: Into the Woods

The most logical course of action was to head back to the hills where they last saw Jace and Allison. The wolves under Halo sniffed out a trail. It was clear from everyone's talk that he felt there was no other choice in the matter.

"This way," said Will pointing into the woods.

I wanted to find them first. I hoped that I would be able to warn my friend, but at the same time still felt jealous of what he may be doing with Allison.

I snuck away from the pack. As I creeped through the bushes watching the pack continue, Steven snuck up behind me.

"Hey," he whispered.

I released a small yelp then glanced at the pack. They didn't seem to notice.

"You startled me."

"So what's the plan?" he asked.

"I think I know where they are."

We went deeper into the woods east while the rest of the group headed south. I was a little upset that Halo didn't notice my absence, but I guess she was too busy with her pack. I convinced myself that Halo was out for some kind of vengeance or vindication since she didn't see what Jace was sooner.

I rushed through the thick brush with Steven desperate to find answers. I found a clearing. In its center was a large, long, flat stone that leaned against another rock making it slightly elevated on one side sort of like a recliner. I found it hard to believe that this rock formation was naturally occurring. I seemed built to be a sacrificial altar.

Allison was lying on top of the large stone. There was a large willow tree at the head and the moon was brightly shining down on the spot from the eastern skies. Jace was standing over her. I watched as he leaned in to kiss her lightly. Just like in the dream, his hand began to glow. Then, in his palm, a ball of light formed. He pushed the ball of light into Allison. Her belly was glowing for a moment, and then the glow subsided. Her stomach began to rise and fall with the rhythm of her breathing.

It seemed strange that he would use a ball of light. Before, he was acting as if he wanted to do it the old fashion way. It actually brought me a bit of comfort in the thought that he wanted to be with me in that way but not Allison, but I wondered how Allison felt about it.

He heard us and turned around. I saw such anguish when our eyes met. I rushed down to him and Steven quickly followed.

"What did you do to her?" Steven asked. He started for his sister but Jace moved between them.

"She is no longer of your concern," Jace said.

"Of course she's my concern, she's my sister!"

I put a hand on Steven's shoulder in an attempt to calm him down.

"Jace," I said. "Why did you choose her?"

"She chose me, not the other way around."

"I don't understand."

"She knew what I needed from you and volunteered herself instead. She knew that you would not acquiesce."

My jaw dropped. "When did she tell you all of this?"

"Around the time when we first met. She told me that you would not cooperate with me and that I would need to put a control charm on you just to get you to kiss me. She said that she was already a willing participant to my cause. She had called out to me a few times in the past. She has wanted this for a long time."

I felt betrayed. Knowing that my so-called friend may have orchestrated the whole event was almost too much to bear.

"I do apologize, Nilla," Jace said. "I was supposed to come on land to find her, the woman who summoned me, but after I felt your compassion when you rescued me, I knew that my power would be so much stronger with you. At first, I was just after your own particular brand of magic, but as I got to know you, I wanted to just be with you as much as possible. But Allison convinced me that such a venture would be futile to our plans. I did not believe her and kept trying. I found myself falling deeper in love with you. You are such a wonderful person, Nilla."

"Quit the sap," said Allison. She sat up and stood next to Jace. "Look, Nilla, I never meant to hurt your feelings about all this."

I could feel the tears burning in the back of my eyes.

"I know what he meant to you," Allison continued. "I had to listen to you gush about him every single day. 'Oh, he has such beautiful eyes. Oh, I love the way he touches me.' Blah blah blah. Come on, Nilla."

My control over the tears faltered and some escaped, streaming down my face.

"Allison," said Steven. "What's wrong with you?"

"I don't belong here. Haven't you ever noticed that? I belong under that ocean and that's where I'm going to end up."

"That's no reason to betray a kind and generous friend you've had for years!"

"I didn't mean to hurt her!" Allison became defensive as if she had any right. "I just didn't want my opportunity to slip away. I'm going under that ocean and I'm going to rule it all with this energy that's growing within me now."

"Your baby," my voice quivered.

"It's not really a baby," said Allison. "It's a joining of our life forces into a single energy capable of taking control of the entire ocean at once, stronger than the medallion. He gets justice for his species and I get to leave this place and help him rule the oceans. It's what I've always wanted. What wouldn't you do to realize a dream?"

"I wouldn't betray a friend. I wouldn't betray you!" I lost what little control I had left over my tears and they started flowing freely. For once, I didn't care. I wanted Allison to see them. I wanted Allison to feel something other than selfish greed.

"Wouldn't you?" Allison chuckled. "Do you remember a few years back when you wanted to be in the choir? I wanted to be in it too but they only had one spot open. We both went to the audition. The instructor told us both that we were excellent and that it would be hard to choose between us. Then you told him I wasn't very trustworthy and that I would flake out on him the moment the opportunity struck. Do you remember that?"

I wiped a tear from my face. "But I didn't...I mean to say it wasn't my intention to hurt you. I just...I just...."

"You just wanted that spot so badly that you didn't care how you got it. That little lie cost me something that might've kept me from interfering with the relationship you had with Jace. And to top it all off, you ended up quitting the choir a month later because you would've rather joined the science club. Do you have any idea what that did to me, what it did to our friendship? You betrayed me then so I don't feel that bad about betraying you now."

"But that was different."

"How so, Nilla? Because it was you doing the betraying?"

I didn't know what to say. There was nothing to say. This was all some sort of revenge.

"I have the energy growing inside of me, now. We'll go into the ocean together and you'll never see him or me again. Won't that be nice, Nilla?"

My legs refused to hold me and I fell to the ground in despair. Steven put his arms around me and looked back at Allison.

"Allison, please! You're my sister, I love you."

"You love Nilla more." Allison rubbed her growing belly. "Come, Jace. We have to get out of here before the wolves find us."

Jace and I looked into each other's eye one last time before he followed Allison deeper into the forest. I stayed on the ground and cried.