Nilla: The Orb

"This orb is uncontrollable," said Jace. He stared deeply into the orb. "I can never hope to get the desired effect with this."

I had a thought. "Is there still time for another?"

"Only if I were to find a person of incredible love and kindness." He ran his hands over the now blue orb and the wolves finally stopped fighting.

"Then, since you have at least one more night, try me."

The smirk finally left Allison's face. Halo had made her way over.

"If it helps you at all, go ahead and put your light into me," I said.

"So now you are willing to help me?" Jace asked. He placed the dark orb at his feet.

Halo let out a low growl of her disapproval.

"Well, since I know how it's all done I guess I don't really mind. I just thought you were asking for something else."

"Wait," Steven said. He reached out and grabbed my arms. "I don't think that's such a good idea. The wolves don't trust him. The mermaid rulers of the sea don't trust him. Hell, I don't trust him. He's not as good and wonderful as you think he is I'm sure."

"No, Steven, it's okay. I trust him completely."

"Well, I don't think you should."

I pushed away from Steven's grip and went over to Jace. He gave me a gentle kiss as a ball of light formed in his hand. He placed the orb next to my stomach and it was absorbed. It tickled like hundreds of light scritches, and I was soon filled with feelings of happiness and contentment, like being wrapped in a warm blanket. There was a tingling that surged throughout my body from head to toe. The orb grew quickly inside me, much faster than it had inside of Allison. The thought of her sent a wave of pain through my body.

"Focus on me," said Jace. "Look deeply into my eyes."

I did as instructed trying to focus only on love.

Jace placed his hand on the growing orb and smiled. There was no more pain as it grew.

I started to wish I had done this all before. Maybe then he wouldn't have used Allison and they wouldn't be in this mess. The brief moment of pain rippled through me once again. Regret. I shook it off and really tried my best to focus on Jace.

"What's that thing doing to you?" Steven asked. He sounded hurt and angry.

I could hear Allison grumbling under her breath. I tried not to look at her, but I could feel her eyes burning into me.

"Doesn't it hurt?" Allison asked.

"Not really." I smiled at the pleasant feeling. "It feels quite nice actually, for the most part, like being wrapped in love."

"This isn't right!" Banta had transformed and came up to protest. "Nilla, you saw what it did to that crazy friend of yours."

"I'm not like her, Banta. I'm not selfish and I know that I should take responsibility for my actions. I don't have a darkened soul."

The pain returned for a brief moment. Smug? Perhaps I wasn't as perfect as I liked to think.

"You may not have the soul of the darkened one, but that still doesn't make this right. Do you truly believe this is all for the better?"

"Oh, Banta, if you could feel the joy I'm feeling right now you wouldn't question it."

"It's not fair," said Allison. "Why doesn't it hurt you like it hurt me? I had to grit my teeth through the pain. I don't understand. It's not fair!"