Halo: In the Lead

She knew my secret. I was glad for that, but not how it all happened. I had Will place her on my bed and I lay beside her watching her sleep. She seemed so calm but even as she slept, I could feel her stress. After what seemed like forever, her beautiful amber eyes finally met mine. I offered her a smile.

"Are you alright?" I asked.

"What happened?" Nilla said.

"You fainted. He had his hooks in you something fierce. I'm so sorry I didn't see it sooner. I must've been so caught up in your happiness I never bothered to check into your safety."

Nilla smiled. "Don't apologize for that. Apologize because you didn't tell me you were a wolf." She pet me like I was still an animal.

I couldn't help but laugh. "I couldn't tell you that. What would you have said?"

"I probably would've thought you were insane or just being you. You've always had a crazy sense of humor."

I barked and began panting like a dog. She chuckled a little, but everything was still weighing so heavily on her pure heart. She hugged me so tightly and started to cry.

"Why is she crying?" asked Banta.

Nilla whipped her head around and scanned the room. Banta and Will were with me and Steven was sitting in the corner with his head held low. Her face flushed with embarrassment most likely because she hated letting people see her cry. I gave her another little hug. I've told her so many times that it's okay to cry when you need to, no need to be embarrassed.

Nilla watched Steven for a minute. "Steven, are you okay?"

"I'm sorry, Nilla," he said. "My sister betrayed you. They all told me what she did. I woke up the other morning looking for her. When I didn't find her at your house, I came here." He looked up at her. "I'm so sorry, Nilla." His eyes were swollen red from exhaustion and worry.

"How long have I been asleep?" Nilla asked.

Silence.

"How long?" Nilla demanded.

"Awhile," I tried to be as gentle as possible. "Steven has never left your side.

Nilla looked over at him. His head was still held down.

"I'm so sorry, Nilla," he said again.

"For what? You didn't do anything to me."

"I just feel responsible for Allison."

Nilla stood up. She wavered and started to fall back. I grabbed her as Steven rushed over. We both held her up.

"Are you alright?" Steven asked. The worry played clearly on his face.

"She'll be fine," said Banta. "The effects of the medallion's mind control are slowly making their way out of her system. Some dizziness and irritability are only natural."

Exactly like a drug.

"Where is Ali now?" Nilla asked.

"We don't know," I said. "She disappeared with Jace."

"But we have the medallion," said Banta. "The criminal should be easier to apprehend. The problem is that now he has a human girl on his side. He may attempt to impregnate her to get his magical baby."

I felt the tension on Nilla's body and rubbed her shoulder. Steven held her hand.

"Will we be able to find her in time?" I asked.

"Maybe, there's really no telling. The deed has probably already been done. The baby will grow quickly. The stronger the baby's powers, the faster it will grow."

Nilla's face seemed to turn green at the thought. My poor friend. I wished more than anything that I could help her somehow, to make everything the was she thought it should be for her. She deserved happiness.

"Maybe you guys should talk about something else or leave," said Steven. He was quite forceful. "Can't you see it's bothering her?" He placed a gentle hand on her cheek and looked her in the eyes with such heartbreaking compassion. Perhaps I could make something similar if they had a moment to themselves.

"I'm sorry," I said. "We'll take this outside."

I motioned for everyone to leave the room while Steven remained at her side.

"Are you sure that was wise?" Banta asked. She sounded accusatory.

"I think he might help her heal a little. Sometimes, it's nice to have company when you're hurting and alone."

"It's also nice to be alone with your thoughts once in awhile without any other voices trying to manipulate you into doing something you normally wouldn't do."

"Are you questioning my judgement?"

She took a step back. "No, merely pointing out another possible scenario for you to consider. I know you love her and you want to make sure she feels equally loved before you leave her to return to the pack. I'm just saying that hearts are delicate and can't be rushed into anything."

She was right, of course. My judgement regarding Nilla had always been skewed. There was no one else on the planet who I loved more than her.

"Have you told her that you have to come back soon?" I'd never heard Banta sound so gentle and caring.

"No."

"Don't you think you should? It would give her a chance to prepare."

"I can't tell her now."

"When we catch the dolphin, you'll have to leave, so when?"

I shook my head. "I'll figure it out."

Banta placed a gentle hand on my arm. Maybe we can delay a few months.

I smiled. "I appreciate the gesture, but things happen in their own time, and my time here is almost ended. I have to go back as planned."

She nodded.

Suddenly, Nilla screamed. "Halo! Banta! Help me!"