Halo: Let's Meet Him

"I wanna meet him!" I may have come off a bit too strong sometimes, but I was eager to meet the guy that had my bestie all smitten and secretive. Maybe it would easy my suspicions.

"What?" Her voice quivered. I wasn't entirely sure if it was just nerves or outright fear. What could she have to fear?

"It's been awhile, hasn't it? Shouldn't the man in your life know the friends in your life?"

"I agree." The fact that Ali agreed really meant something. It was rare when we were aligned on something, but we were always aligned on Nee's well-being.

"Guys," she let out a sigh. "He's really not into meeting new people. It's just us right now."

"That's so suspicious," said Ali.

"It's all still new," Nee deflected. "Honest, once he's more comfortable, I'm sure he'll want to meet everyone."

"He doesn't strike me as a shy guy," I said. Perhaps we shouldn't pry so much. "Besides, we never get to see you anymore. You're always off with him at your precious spot."

"We should probably know where that is," said Ali. "Just in case he murders you can they need to recover the body."

Bad move.

"That's the dumbest thing I think you've ever said," Nee growled. "He wouldn't murder me."

"No, just keep you away from your friends and family and make you completely dependent on him and him alone." Ali really lacked tact.

"You're a real piece of work," Nee snapped.

"He's hiding something from you," Ali said matter-of-fact. No tact at all.

"He's not doing anything like that." Her eyes started to water. Confrontation wasn't her strong suit.

"That's enough, Ali," I said.

"This guy...."

"I said it's enough!"

Ali scoffed. "Always the big, bad momma bear."

"When it comes to her, absolutely. Lay off."

Ali shook her head and wandered off.

"Thank you," Nee sniffled.

"I'm sorry. I don't mean to lay so much on you. We'll meet him when he's ready and not a second before, okay?"

She nodded. "Thanks. Why does Ali have it in for him so much?"

"That's a good question."

"Do you think it's jealousy?"

Jealousy? Not in the way Nee would think. "Perhaps. She loves you as much as I do."

"I wish you guys wouldn't treat me so much like a baby."