Nilla: Halo's Bedroom

"I hate that you're so upset," said Steven. He held me so gently as we sat on Halo's bed.

I wanted him to let go. I didn't like the idea of leading him on. I was very fond of Steven, I just wasn't in love with him. But the thought of not having anyone with me was equally depressing. I wanted to cry and get it all over with. I stupidly had my future with Jace all planned out and now those dreams were shattered, whisked away like so much garbage. I placed my head on Steven's shoulder.

Steven gave me a gentle kiss.

"Don't worry," he said. "I'm sure things will work out for the best."

"Are you?"

"I don't really believe Allison would betray you. I think she's being controlled like you were."

"That's just it. I don't think I was being controlled, not at first anyway. I genuinely liked him. I think you have to have some sort of feeling before he can control you. I think the medallion is more of a magnifier than anything."

"What makes you say that?"

"Well, on the day I watched Jace attack the wolves with it, it was already windy, partly cloudy, and there was a chance for rain. He could easily magnify a tornado and darker clouds if they were somewhat present in the air to begin with. And when Ali held the wolves back with a big gust of wind, it was still already windy."

"You're an observant person." Steven smiled.

"Only with the weather," Nilla said. "I like overcast days with a slight breeze. They always seem to hold the best energy. They definitely set the scene for the best pictures."

"So you think you already had some sort of feelings for him?"

"The more I think about it, the more I know I did. I remember thinking 'what a good-looking guy! I'd really like to get to know him a bit better.'"

Steven sighed. "I don't suppose you ever thought that about me?"

"Of course I have. You're a pretty awesome guy and not bad looking."

"You just don't see me the same way I see you?"

I shifted, fidgeting with her hands and wondered what brought this on. I always knew how he felt and was pretty sure he knew that I knew.

"Steven," I looked him in the eyes. They were filled with sadness and a longing desire. "Don't you think it would be strange for me to still be your sister's friend if things didn't work out?"

"What makes you think it wouldn't work out?"

I didn't answer.

"I think you know that we would be great together, but you're afraid of what might happen."

"Steven...I...."

I turned away from his piercing gaze. I couldn't take their growing intensity. I didn't feel worthy of his love and believed I deserved a guy like Jace. I guess I thought I deserved to be controlled or, at the very least, not worshipped like Steven was willing to do.

Before I could finish any of the racing thoughts in my head, he pulled my face up to his and kissed me. He'd kissed me before on the cheek or forehead and once on the lips one Christmas under the mistletoe, but it was never like this. I never felt the full force of his passion before, his desire. He wasn't as gentle as Jace. It was as if he were trying to force everything he was feeling into me, to make me feel the same way he did. I didn't try to resist him, and how could I? He wasn't hurting and it was like he was speaking with his heart.

When he was finished he looked at me. I didn't know what kind of response to give him when I saw the question on his face. His expression slowly went from wonder to regret in my silence. Oddly enough to both my surprise and his as well, I leaned in and kissed him back. I couldn't help it. I was compelled beyond all reason to reciprocate. I wasn't aware those feelings existed in me.

Steven leaned me back onto the bed and I let him. He was exploring my body with his hands. There was something in the way that he kissed me that seemed familiar. The energy that was arising within me also had an odd familiarity to it. I quickly pushed Steven away.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

I looked into his eyes. Those eyes didn't belong to Steven. Those eyes were dark and extremely similar to....

"Jace!" I said. "How did you...where's Steven?"

Steven smiled. "You sure do make up all kinds of reasons not to make a baby with someone, do you not?"

"Get off me!" I pushed at him.

He covered my mouth with his hand and pinning me down.

"I need you, Nilla," he said. "I need you to help me. If you will not help me by choice, then you will help me by force."

I struggled beneath his strong grip. I hadn't realized the extent of his desperation. I've never felt so afraid. I didn't know what to do. I looked into his eyes, pleading, and I felt the tension release.

"If I take my hand off your mouth, will you promise to be silent? I have no desire to harm you."

I nodded and he took his hand off my mouth.

"How did you get to be so strong?" I asked.

"Stop the small talk. There is something else you wish to ask me."

"How can you make yourself look like anyone you want?"

"It is not simply his image. I am him. His voice, his mannerisms, his hopes, his desires, and even his way of speaking are all mine now."

"So it's like you took over his body? How did you take over Steven?"

He smiled. It was weird seeing Jace's smile on Steven's face.

"You already know the answer to that one, now don't you?"

"A part of him wanted to be you, is that it? How can you still magnify desires without the medallion?"

"I never needed the medallion to do that."

I could feel tears welling up in my eyes once more and closed them tightly feeling hopeless and scared. I wanted to scream out for someone to help, everyone was so close by, but how would he react? Suddenly, the pressure of his body was lifted. I opened her eyes and saw him standing.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"I can't stand to see you in pain like this. It's not how I wanted it."

I sat up and looked at the person standing in front of me. He looked so broken and scared.

"Halo! Banta! Help me!" I screamed. "Somebody!"