Allison: Accusation

I got a phone call way to early in the morning. The buzzing was so obnoxious, but it was difficult to pinpoint where my phone had fallen during the night. I'd normally mute early calls, but when I saw who it was, I immediately answered.

"Hey, Nilla."

"I need to talk to you."

I had hoped she called to apologize, but no such luck. She sounded so angry I almost didn't recognize her.

"About what."

"You know what. That dream you sent last night." It sounded like something scared her.

I rolled over on my back and rubbed my eyes. "What dream? What are you talking about?"

"Just don't go anywhere. We've got to get all of this out today."

"What dream?" I insisted ignoring her tone.

"Not now. Later." She hung up.

There was an opening between buildings that was almost completely hidden by a large tree with branches that sloped all the way down to the ground. We had been meeting up at this secret spot since we first started going to this school. There were a few other trees around it and a large, prickly holly bush in front of the trees. Anyone who didn't know exactly where to enter would get poked pretty bad by that bush. No doubt that anyone else who knew about it used it as a make-out spot.

We stood between the buildings just staring at each other. Nilla glared at me. I was confused at first until it came to me. She blamed me for something and chances are that it had something to do with her precious boyfriend.

"Well," I said in a monotone sort of way. It was neither confrontational nor defensive.

"I had a dream last night about being tied up and controlled by Jace."

I didn't respond.

"Why would I have a dream like that?"

I released a heavy sigh. "If I told you, you would just get mad and yell at me again."

"Why? What did you do? Did you do some sort of voodoo, witchcraft spell on me?"

"I didn't do anything!" She was so accusatory I may have snapped. "Your subconscious mind just processed what I told you and tried to make you see the truth in a dream. Even your own mind is telling you he's no good for you but you're just too damn stubborn to listen to anyone even yourself."

Nilla was a bit taken aback but stood firm. I don't think I ever yelled at her before.

"If my mind is showing me these images, then it's because you put them there somehow. You're the only one of my friends who admits to doing magic and the only one out of them who hates my boyfriend. What kind of jealousy could make you do something like this?"

I rolled her eyes. "I never put any spells on you. If anyone is putting spells on people, it's that boyfriend of yours. Steven told me what you did to that girl after I left."

I waited for her to respond but she was doing the same. We stood in silence for a few moments, neither of us wanting to yield to the other. As always, I gave in first.

"Look," I said. "I don't really have time for your nonsense."

"You have a voodoo doll to poke with pins or something?" Nilla snapped. I hoped that she didn't mean for it to come out sounding so harsh and childish.

"No, I take dance lessons," I snapped back. "If you want to blame me for all your pathetic little problems, you just go right ahead. When your relationship ends badly and inevitably painfull, I'll be there to help you even though you'll probably still blame me for the whole disaster unraveling. There will come a time in your life when you'll have to become an adult and take responsibility for your actions. There will also come a time in your life when you'll learn to be more objective about what the people who love you are trying to tell you. When that time comes, you know where to find me." I shimmied out through the small opening.

It was so ridiculous. I had no idea the energy I sent out back then would blow in my face like that. All I wanted was a different life for myself, not ruin what was already good and pure in it.