The Days After Harryween - 3

no tiktok reference

y/n's pov

THE 5TH OF NOVEMBER

Friday rolled around faster than I thought it would. I spent all Thursday morning setting up my OBGYN appointment which took longer than it should have because my mom and I spent a good amount of time arguing about which OBGYN was better. I knew she wanted the best for me, but man I was exhausted from all the googling we did.

I then spent the evening on my phone scrolling through endless amounts of baby stuff, putting things in my cart, but later on swiping off the tab and deleting my history. I also took a mental note of a couple things which I probably should have written down because my brain is definitely not going to remember any of that, but I have a lot of time to plan and get ready. This is just the beginning of this wonderful chapter.

"Y/N, food's ready. You better hurry or we're going to be late." My mom yelled from the kitchen, she came over to the apartment at 7 in the morning, and I was not having it. She came with a bunch of loaded questions that I did not even answer, because it was just too early. The appointment wasn't until the afternoon for goodness sake.

"I'm coming, mother." I walked out of the bathroom wearing a pair of mom jeans, how ironic, a long sleeve shirt and Harry's patterned vest from the Treat People With Kindness music video. I trudged along the hallway towards the kitchen to see my mom sitting down with two plates in front of her. "Thanks, mommy."

"Of course, dear. Now eat up so we can get a headstart and I can see my little grandchild." My mom chewed on her red velvet pancakes as if this whole thing was normal to her.

"Mom?"

She turned her head to make eye contact with me and gave me a slight nod as a way to say 'go on'.

"Why do you seem so calm? When we were on the phone a couple days ago I could tell you were skeptical about the situation even though you put your brave face on for me – I just didn't expect you to be so nonchalant."

"I've uh...talked about this with your dad a couple of times before and I guess it was something we already saw coming. We've had a long time to prepare for this, I mean you and Harry have been together for a while, and we just knew it was coming sooner or later so we just prepared ourselves. And I'm glad we did because now I can put all my excitement and be the cool grandma I was meant to be instead of letting the worry and anxiety take over you know?" She looked into my eyes as she spoke and her next words were something I'd cherish in my heart forever. "I've always had a feeling that Harry was the one for you, not because you were obsessed when you were younger, but because you two connected in such a soulful way. When we met him and you introduced him as your boyfriend I was in awe of how he looked at you, and how he treated you. Then when he'd come over you can tell that, that man was written by a woman, he was raised so well, and I knew his mom and I were going to get along."

By the end of her speech I was amazed at everything she had just said. I never thought that was how she felt about Harry and I's relationship. My mom wasn't really the type to show her love with words, she showed her love by gift giving, cooking, and spending quality time with us so hearing her talk about this was pure bliss to me.

"Mommy, you really touched me with your words...I'm so happy you and dad are okay with this, your acceptance is the most important thing to me and if I didn't have that then I wouldn't even know what to do with myself. Thank you for being the positive light in my world, I love you."

"I love you more than the world, sometimes more than your sister, but don't tell your sister I said that and enough of this sappy shit. Let's eat our food and go to the doctors." She threw her head back and let out a little laugh, this woman doesn't know how to take compliments, and now I see where I get it from.