Electric Power is Kinda Sus

POV DEKU

"Midoriya and Kaminari, you two will be working together for this project since our class's numbers can't split evenly into all groups of three. Do you think you can handle the workload?" Mr. Aizawa says, narrowing his eyes at the two of us. The class murmurs a bit, making their predictions. They all think I'm just gonna do all the work, but I know that Kaminari is a lot smarter than people give him credit for.

"We got it, sensei!" I say proudly. Even Kaminari looks surprised, but I don't mind. I just smile at him, big and wide. He smiles back pointing electric finger guns in my direction. Butterflies flap around in my stomach, but I dismiss it as hunger. I didn't get to eat lunch because I was writing.

"Alright, I'll give you the rest of class to get started, though it's only about half an hour. Be productive, but don't be loud." Aizawa slumps down in his yellow sleeping bag as the sound of moving desks and scraping chairs erupts around the room. When seats are situated, everyone gets locked in on brainstorming. The project is to create your own hero agency, determine how it functions, and what kind of quirks would help propel it into success. A little bit of business and finance, a bit of battle IQ and analysis, and some creativity!

"Here's what I'm thinking," Kaminari blurts as he plops down across from me. "You've got a super strength quirk, and I'm electricity. Ready for it? Drum roll please... ELECTRIC POWER AGENCY! EPA for short. Do you like it? I came up with it all by myself!"

"It's awesome, Kami!" I beam, writing his idea down. "And I already have a million ideas for how our quirks compliment each other written down in my notebook. I always thought me and you would make a great team, but I guess I never really thought to approach you. I'm happy we get to work together!"

Kami chuckles softly, melting my heart. "Really? Even though I'm kinda a dunce when it comes to battle analysis?"

"What are you talking about?" I blurt at him. "You're not a dunce! You're super strong, and you do a great job controlling your quirk and protecting other people from it. I think you're amazing, Kami, I really do. Check this out." I pull out my hero notebook and flip to his page, feeling my heart thump in my chest. His golden amber eyes scan every word, and a blush creeps onto his face. I smile and lean back in my chair, determination in my eyes. "See? You're a great hero, Kami! And this project we're doing is gonna be awesome! Maybe when we graduate U.A., we can actually build an agency together."

"That'd be awesome, Midoriya," Kaminari says softly. He blinks hard, a big grin on his face. "Electric Power!"

"Yeah!"

"Hey, losers!" Kacchan yells, slapping his palms on the table. Jiro and Sero, who are his group partners, roll their eyes at Kacchan's failure to stay on task. Kaminari and I jump a bit, making Kacchan smirk. "You said you wanna build your own real hero agency after graduation, huh?"

"Yeah," Kaminari taunts. "And it's gonna be way better than yours."

Kacchan glares at him, his brows furrowing. I watch as the muscles in his jaw tighten, and sink into the sound of his voice growing deeper with annoyance. "Well, then, brat, I guess I'll retract my offer if you wanna make it a damn competition."

"What offer?" I squeak out, subconsciously putting my hand on Kacchan's arm. He smiles at me and laces our fingers together. "Please tell us, Kacchan! We wanna know!"

"I was thinking, instead of it just being you two, we could combine agencies. I'm gonna be the number one hero–"

"Debatable," I blurt out. Kacchan scowls at me and keeps going, squeezing my hand gently.

"I'm gonna be one of the top heroes," he grumbles, "and I guess you guys are pretty strong too or whatever, so we should all just work together to crush everyone else."

"Bakugou, you traitor!" Sero yells from across the room.

Kacchan flips him off, a wicked smile on his face. "So how does that sound, nerds? You in?"

"Of course!" Kami cheers. "We're gonna crush the competition!"

"Yeah!" I chime in. "This is gonna be awesome!"

"And I was thinking we could add Shinso, too," Kacchan says, gently running his fingers through my hair, "But I'm not sure. He likes to, uh, fight me for power and it's annoying. But... keep him in mind, alright?" With that, Kacchan walks away, and Kami and I exchange suspicious glances.

"Kaminari," I whisper, pursing my lips. "Sus?"

"Very sus," Kami says with a small nod. "Do you think he's proposing what I think he's proposing?"

"If so," I say. "This hero agency is gonna be a little different than we originally planned."