Idiot Sandwich

⚠️TW STRONG HOMOPHOBIC LANGUAGE, MENTIONS OF CHILD ABUSE⚠️

Once a year, without fail. Two weeks, no more and no less. The Kaminaris pack their bags in Alabama and sail over seas to Japan in hopes of rewinding all the "brainwashing" that Narihanna did to her poor son, Denki. Once a year, without fail, Denki has to put on the most uncomfortable mask in order to please his ridiculous family. 

"I told you we should've taken the boy with us to the States," Denki's Grandpa Ren muttered, rolling his suitcase through the parking lot. His wife, Keiko, was right in front of him, ignoring him and his insolent complaining. 

"Be a little more gentle with Narihanna, alright, dad?" Denki's aunt, Avaka, said, resting a gentle hand on Grandpa Ren's back. "She's doing her best."

"Yeah, well, clearly her best isn't good enough," Denki's uncle Teiden grumbled, crossing his arms over his broad chest. "I hate seeing my nephew ranked last in his class. It's embarrassing the entire family."

"Well, Nari's sexual preference has nothing to do with Denki's grades," Aunt Avaka argued. "Let's just stay as peaceful as possible, okay? Hate the sin, love the sinner. Isn't that what you always say, mom?"

Grandma Keiko scoffed. "Oh, dear. Soon you'll grow up and learn that you really can't separate the sin from the sinner. If we don't make a move, Narihanna's disease is going to spread to that boy like the plague. If he still hasn't gotten a girlfriend by the time he graduates, then we'll bring him to the church."

The rest of the car ride to Yuuei high school was absolutely silence. Packed in the minivan, even Teiden's ball-of-energy eight year old son, Deniko, was hushed the entire time. Everyone knew better than to talk back to Grandma Keiko. Everyone knew what happened if you did: Narihanna had the scars to prove it. 

"Welcome! You must be Kaminari's party," Principal Nezu exclaimed, scurrying up the pathway. "I'm so glad you decided to take advantage of this free visiting week--"

"We'll be here for two weeks, actually," Grandma Keiko interrupted. "We flew in from the States."

Principal Nezu nodded, still keeping that dead-eyed smile of his. Uncle Teiden, who was a military veteran a few inches over six feet, was starting to get goosebumps. "Well, that's alright. It's Sunday, so right now you either have the option to take your student off campus or hang out in Yuuei's common areas. Tomorrow and all throughout this week, you'll be able to shadow your student throughout his school day."

Aunt Avaka bowed her head at the strange rat man. "Thank you so much, sir."

"Oh, it's no biggie. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, just let me or any of the other staff know. And again, welcome to Yuuei."

Deniko scrunched up his nose, grimacing at the rat the size of a third grader wearing a suit. "I've seen some pretty freaky mutant quirks," he muttered, "but I think this one is the worst."

Teiden nodded in silent agreement while Nezu forced himself to calm down and not kill these humans before him. The public image, he reminded himself. Can't be a serial killer if you're in the public eye!

Nezu led the Kaminaris to the class A dormitory where pretty much everyone was just hanging out. A few other students whose families lived far away were showing up for the free week, like Ojiro's parents, Mina's aunt, Sato's dad, and Kirishima's moms. But none of them had judge-y eyes like the Kaminaris. It was almost unbearable, Nezu thought to himself. The poor kid probably felt like he was under a microscope, being dissected piece by piece.

It was the first (and last) time Nezu ever felt sympathy for a human. It was short-lived, but the feeling was there. "Have fun!" he exclaimed before skipping off to his office to do god-knows what.