Chapter 5: The Doubts

Chelsea's POV

School ended two hours ago, and now I'm seated cross-legged on the soft carpet in my room after just devouring a burger I purchased on my way back.

My maths textbook lays flat in front of me, a pencil in the hook of my ear and an exercise book to my right. I gape at the page filled with numbers and symbols, under normal circumstances I'll be done in less than 10 minutes, rather I'm in this position for the past half hour.

To someone else, I might come off as focused on the homework in my vision, while on the other hand, I'm not, as my mind is elsewhere. The sound of the clock ticking keeps me a bit sane.

I'm jarred by the knock on my door, influencing me to veer my neck to it as I hear little feet shuffle and spot a shadow below the wooden barrier. "Hey Chelsea, can I come in?"

"Adie?" I call in more of a question than a statement as I climb out of bed and saunter to unfasten the lock and open it.

"Are you busy?" She asks in that soft voice of hers, her pigtails bouncing behind her bareback, apparent by the yellow blouse she's wearing that's secured by a hook at the waist.

"Not for you sweetie," I say lifting her into my arms and blowing air on her stomach. Her legs clad in jean shorts kick as she giggles.

"What do you want baby?" I request, setting her on my bed and crouching on the floor so I can be on the same eye level as her.

"There's this boy I like," she confides, a blush staining her cheeks as she avoids eye contact.

"Nope," I shake my head, not waiting for her to continue.

"But--"

"No," I cut her off, moving my ass on the floor to shorten the space between us and not caring if my jeans get dirty hence they are due for removal after my eventful day at school.

"You won't let me--"

"No way," I decline, steeling my will against her adorable pout. "You are too young to be bothered about boys."

"I know, I just," she stops, her orbs growing glassy with tears.

"Continue," I sigh, circling my arms around her waist and resting my head lightly on her leg so I can gaze up at her.

"I really like him but he has been acting all weird," she voices, playing with her fingers. "I didn't want to tell mom because she will scold me and I know Dad will get angry just like you did."

"No Adie." I smile comfortingly. "I'm not angry at you."

"Are you sure?" She inquires, giving me that look which kids do that melts your heart into a puddle.

"Yes dear, I'm sure," I affirm, pushing strands of hair behind her ear. "Go on."

"Thank you." She beams and hugs me quickly before continuing. "I like him and I think he likes me too."

"So what's the problem?" I investigate, placing a palm below my chin.

"It's just," she releases a breath that makes me chuckle. "He follows me around and always pokes me, at times he does things that get me angry."

"Wow," I let out. I didn't have such problems at the age of 9.

"Tania says he's only bullying me, and I'm scared because I hear you complain of how you get bullied, and I just------

"Woah." I lift my two palms to stop her. "I don't know you understand such things."

"Mom says I'm a smart 9 year old, I understand a lot of things," she says with such seriousness that I blink twice to make sure I'm not dreaming, that it is really my adopted little sister telling me this.