Chapter 14: The Party

Chelsea's POV

"I'll be hosting a party on Saturday," he says as I shut the book after a successful two hours of teaching and learning.

"Have fun." I give a small smile and get off the bed to head to the couch where my bag is resting, but his next words stop me in my tracks.

"You are invited," he states. Slowly, I do a u-turn to offer him a bewildered expression.

"What?" I query in disbelief as he stands too, coming close to my position.

"I'll appreciate it if you come." Does he scratch the back of his head in what I think to be nervousness? No, it can't be, Terry cannot be nervous.

"You are serious?" I interrogate, letting out a shocked laugh.

"As a heart attack," he asserts, dramatically using his left hand to place on the right part of his chest. Yep, Terry is left-handed though it's barely noticeable as he uses both hands the same way, a skill I never knew people had.

"Why do people use that as an answer?" I question in a scoff, securing the book in the blue Teflar bag and zipping it up.

"Because nothing is as serious as that?" He says in more of a question. "So are you coming?"

"I don't know." I shake my head, avoiding eye contact. "Parties are not really my scene."

"I know, and I promise you won't have to party," he murmurs and again I award him a questioning glimpse. "You can bring another textbook and we can come up here so you can tutor me again."

"Yeah, as if the noise from downstairs won't be loud and clear," I snort, snatching up the blue strap and crossing the satchel across my shoulder.

"Trust me Chels, this room," he gestures with his arms. "Is soundproof."

**********

"I can't believe we are actually attending Terry's party on a personal invite," Uche muses as I help her tighten the strings on the yellow crochet blouse she's wearing above thigh-length jean shorts.

"Technically, he didn't say I should bring company," I murmur making sure the knot is secured behind her back. "Plus I'm not even going to party if his words are true."

"If you don't keep your mouth shut, I'll seal it for you." She glares at me through the mirror and whirls to see the artwork I did with the strings. "Good job."

"You are welcome." I grin and this causes her to roll her eyes. "Time for my makeup."

"Yes," she accepts and pulls the chair for me to sit on. "I'll use pink and silver eyeshadow with a thick winged eyeliner to go with your black wraparound blouse and pink mini leather skirt."

"That's fine," I agree and get seated while she does the same on the vanity table. She proceeds to unveil her toolbox, yeah that's what I call her makeup box as it's filled with all kinds of brushes, shades of powder, colors of eyeshadow, every length of eyelashes, and other unmentionables.

"I can't wait to see the interior of that magnificent building," she sighs, her eyes going dreamy for a second before snapping out of it.

"Rose lives there," I tell, coming to terms that I haven't let her in on that information yet.

"What did you just say?" She implores, quitting her sweep of the brush on my cheeks to stare into my eyes.

"Rose is Terry's cousin, she lives in the house," I explain, praying she'll get over her surprise and continue with my makeup.

"And when did you acquire this information?" She investigates and I can sense her growing anger as her finger tightens around the object in her hand.

"Wednesday?" I squeak, my eyes shifting frantically as I ponder on how to escape from her presence.