Chapter 9: The Reason

Chelsea's POV

The rest of the school week went by the same way. People staring when I walk past, Terry ignoring me, Uche trying to act composed and hide her blush anytime her eyes clashes with Victor. Uche and I avoiding the cafeteria like the plague and most, no sign of Rose.

Saturday came and breezed by with house cleaning, eating junk food, laying around, and having a girls' night in the evening as Uche showed up with her car which is finally released, and an overnight bag in tow.

We had fun and Adie joined us half the time before she dozed off in Uche's lap while we watched frozen. Uche and I slept off not long after. Waking up in the morning, she had to leave to go prepare for Sunday service as Mum was making breakfast.

Presently I'm dressed in a red bodycon floor-length gown with a slit that rises just above the knee to aid free movement. Adie's hand is clasped in mine as we descend the three stairs that lead up to the St Michael's Catholic Church building.

Adie hops on the cubicles, bringing a smile to my face as her brunette hair bounces on the back of her blue fairy dress, one Mom got for her on her last birthday which was in December. We are both donning black flats as we proceed to where Dad's car is packed.

About the parents, they are exchanging pleasantries with a few members and so Adie and I lean on the body of the sleek black
G-wagon.

"I'm so hungry!" Adie whines rubbing her stomach and gazing at Mom's motherly frame encased in a silver silk short-sleeve dress that stops at her knees, her toes covered in red pointy heels, the exact shade as her lipstick.
"They should be done already."

"Patience Adelaide," I laugh, ruffling her hair just as Dad descends in the formal attire of a black suit jacket, white-colored shirt underneath, a red and silver strapped tie with black slacks. The black shoe on his feet glinting in the sunlight. "See, they are here."

"Let me guess, complaining of hunger again?" Dad lifts a brow and Adelaide tries to hide her face in my thighs.

"Leave her be Charles," Mom snickers, bending to pinch Adie's cheek. "She's a growing child. Plus I know you are hungry too."

"I am Jules, which is why I'll try my best to get us to the restaurant in 5," Dad replies, unlocking the car with the remote and crossing to the driver's side.

"Chivalry really is dead," Mom scoffs hence her door isn't opened by Dad. Dad and I roll our eyes in retort as we slide into the vehicle and relax in the red leather seats.

Adie giggles at our reaction and I give her a shushing motion as Mom offers her an inquisitive look. Thankfully Mom lets it slide at her silence and Dad takes it as his cue to start the engine.

I peep through the window as he stirs the car to the freeway, once we are on the road, he turns on the radio and the song Summertime by Benjackson Troy comes on. I swerve to exchange a grin with Adie as we begin to sing to the lyrics.

Dad keeps to his words and drives at a fast pace. In less than 5 mins we take the last corner that leads us to the Italian Restaurant.

"What would you like to have Adie?" Dad implores, peeping at her through the mirror in a smile.

"Ossobuco Alla Milanese," Adie responds in her sweet voice, her face scrunching up as she pronounces the strange words.

"Well done Adelaide," Mom beams at her as Dad cuts the ignition after packing in the driveway.

I push open my door and climb down, reaching out my hand to Adie and awed when she declines. Instead, she unhitches the door on her side and jumps down, banging it after.