17: Dangerous places.

___________________🦋

"...say the word and you know I'll follow, off the grid y'know I'll take you far..."

- alina baraz×khalid 'off the grid'

🦋___________________

Jasmine

As soon I pulled into Bryson's driveway a sense of ease washed over me. We had been friends for so long that whenever something had gone wrong there wasn't anyone else I could even imagine turning to.

I randomly remembered the time when, for the first time ever, I'd missed my period which predictably sent me into an episode of massive hysteria but going over to Bryson's house calmed me down.

But then again we were both terrified to buy a pregnancy test as we were both only in the tenth grade and walking into the pharmacy to buy one would raise eyebrows as our town was very small, so instead, Bryson came up with the(not-so intelligent) idea to apply pressure to my lower abdomen to in effort to get rid of what we thought was a growing pregnancy, only for me to get my period the day right after Bryson had sat on my stomach.

Man, we were so stupid.

But that memory alone wouldn't put my mind at ease, I needed to see Bryson and rant about everything that seemed to be falling apart in my life- I'd been trying to hold it in together ever since the anxiety attack, to the conversation I had with Cassandra-where afterwards I had drove right to Bryson's without thinking; the only place I wanted to allow myself to fall apart in was in his room.

I stood in front of the front door after ringing the bell twice as I impatiently tapped my foot on the ground and then a few seconds passed until Bryson appeared at the doorway with a purple bruise on his face right below his left eye.

"Holy pineapples, what happened to your face? And why are you ignoring me, bro I've been texting you non-stop!" I exclaimed, but his facial expression remained neutral as ever.

He was mad at me.

"See here's the thing Jasmine, you're so damn selfish. You don't even care about what happened to me at the party after basically dumping me for Javadd? A guy you just met a few weeks ago? Well since you want to know what happened to my face, I got mugged, and guess what?" He asked rhetorically.

"I got mugged looking for you! I was outside Jasmine, looking for you, I was fucking wasted, but I still looked for you." He said the last part quietly. He didn't seem mad anymore, he was just disappointed.

"Hey that's not fair, I sent Luna after you! I made an effort okay? I'm sorry that you got mugged, really I am but I tried my best, Javadd was als—" he cut me off before I could finish, his anger seemingly fueled by whatever was in the statement I had said.

"Javadd this- Javadd that, fuck Javadd and fuck you for not putting me first when I needed you the most."

I tried to hide the surprise I felt because of how the situation had escalated so quickly.

"Yes I know. I get it Bryson—"

"No, you don't get it. Because here's the difference between you and me, I would drop everything if it's you Jasmine, but you... you couldn't even...why can't you get over these insecurities you claim to not have and understand that it's okay to put other people first because not everyone is on some sick mission to hurt you," and after he said those last three words, I knew there was no going back—his words were out in the in the open, heavily floating in the air and as soon as they were out it was obvious he had gone too far.