37:I will take those drugs now.

"Oh, my God." I sunk my teeth into my bottom teeth. "Maybe he didn't hear you," I bargained.

"Nope. He heard me. You fucked up," he deadpanned.

"Well you're not comforting," i rolled my eyes.

"Okay, I didn't mean to be so blunt. But yeah you've gotta fix this,"

"How could I possibly fix this? I mean, what you said was true so I can't exactly apologize and tell him that what he heard wasn't true,"

"Just tell him how you really feel. That's low-key how Luna won me over, you know." I could tell he was trying not to smile.

"Oh my God, ohhh my God. You and Luna?" I squealed.
"Shut the fuck up," he buried his face in his hands.
"Only if you tell me how it all happened," I smirked.

"Jasmine, you and I both know you're just delaying the inevitable. Go after Javadd, Jas. I'll tell you about Luna, and then you'll tell me about why the fuck I had a bullet lodged near my left kidney,"

"Yeah. Yeah...Okay," I rushed out of the hospital room knowing exactly where I was headed.

If anyone would have told me that on the Thursday of the fifth of July I would be walking in the woods after getting kidnapped by the mother of my boyfriend and my ex boyfriend while my best friend had been shot in the stomach I would laugh in their faces and ask to be on whatever drug they were on.

So yeah, I will take those drugs now.

I was snapping branches with my feet with an A3 canvas of a painting I had done a few days ago. As soon as I heard the sound of waves crashing against a rock I was sure I was in the right place.

My heart stopped in my chest when I saw him sitting on the grass, at the very spot him and I sat the night he first showed me the place. Although I had gotten his number and texted him to ask if we could meet, and he had replied with 'you know where to find me', I still wasn't sure if he meant at the waterfall, and I also wasn't sure if he would show up.

But he did.

At least he was willing to let me apologize.

I would admit that the waterfall looked way better at night, but it still looked pretty good in the day time, even though the fireflies weren't around. The sun sat at the horizon making the sky swirl with colours. I sat on a spot right next to him.
I knew he felt my presence even though he ignored me.

I took out the canvas and the places it where he could see it.

The base colour of the painting was brown, a light shade of brown. A small cream–colored cup on a saucer with coffee in it was the centre of the painting. Javadd's hand, as I remembered it the night in the cafe, stuck out from the corner and I internally praised myself for how much detail I had added into it. A blue vein ran under the gold ring that shone in the dim light and I hadn't known until I had done the painting that it would be a moment of revelation for me.

"I don't know if you're gonna understand this, but, bare with me," I exhaled nervously. And then he focused his attention on me.

"I painted this from the night in the cafe,"I looked at it with a smile," do you remember that night, Javadd? That was the same night I realised I was in love with you. You had your hand around that cup the whole night. I remember being so angry that you weren't drinking from it." I chuckled.

"I went back home thinking I was done with you, like for real. And yet the first thing I did to try and forget you had everything to do with you. I painted this, trying to let everything out on that canvas, and it was all you, Javadd. Your hand on the freaking cup you refused to drink out of." I chuckled.

"And yes, I know this is a very underwhelming gift and explanation or whatever— I'm terrible at apologies, gosh. But I just want you to always have this painting and remember it was all you that I painted, and not Diego. I know you heard our conversation," I sighed. "I don't expect you to forgive me." I sat back.

"I can't really forgive you, Jasmine." He began. " Because there's nothing to forgive. I wasn't upset when I overheard your conversation. My mother had just happened to call me at that exact time, and I had to bail because she needed me."

"You're not upset?" I frowned.

"Nope. You just got here an started rambling about how much you're in love with me—" I rolled my eyes "—so I couldn't really interrupt you, now could I? " He smirked.

"You're a jerk." I said, hitting his arm playfully.

He leaned close to me, his eyes on my lips.

"But, you love me." He lifted a finger.

My heart plummeted against my chest wildly at how close we are.

"I won't lie," his fingers traced my cheek, "It does hurt that you were using me to get to to Diego. But you know how it is, you don't choose who you fall for, Jasmine. God does not give you that option. You don't get to choose who you fall in love with," I swallowed. His breath fanned my face.

"But no matter how much you've hurt me, Jasmine, I know for a fact that if God gave me a chance to choose who I fall in love with," his gaze pierced into my eyes, into my soul, with an intensity that would have made me cry, "I would choose you, every single time. I would choose you," a tear fell from my eye.

"I... I am undeniably, no—irreversably in love with you, Jasmine Wilson." He stared at my lips.

"Can I kiss you?" I asked unnecessarily because he already had his lips on mine. And I realised Javadd had never really kissed me that way—it was deep, like our souls alone connected through that kiss. It said more than words ever could. And even though my eyes were closed, my head spun and I fell to the grass, with his mouth still on mine. I bit his lip, to show I enjoyed the way his tongue swirled in my mouth, and then he groaned.

Being in the situation I was, I wondered why people didn't let themselves fall completely in love, and give their all to one person, when it was inevitable that it would end in years, the good kind. The kind that fell from my eyes when Javadd and I were kissing, and I was sure we could both taste.

A few droplets fell from the sky, and soon they were heavy raindrops. It was raining. In August.

Proper raindrops, at sunset. I shivered against Javadd's mouth. And then he pulled back.

"I took an Uber here, please tell me you came with your car," Javadd pleaded.

I had taken an Uber, too and the rain wasn't stopping anytime soon.

"Oh, Pineapples." I sighed.

Javadd laughed.

°

FIN
(French for 'the end')