18: Pretty privilege.

_________________🦋

'...lost in the heat wave, but you came, came like the summer rain...'

                 -majid jordan, summer rain.
🦋________________

"Are you sure about this?" Javadd asked me for the umpteenth time.

I rolled my eyes as pulled my knee closer to my chest, foot on my other leg to prevent mud from getting on the leather seats of his Mustang GT.

We were on our way to an art exhibit I had been seeing posts all over my Instagram feed which was a little out of town.

It wasn't a 'dangerous place' it still felt very rebellious for me to be there, especially considering the fact that it would be a school night by the time we would reach there which was probably why Javadd was concerned.

"Yes, I am. Cassandra, my guardian, won't be expecting me for a while,"

"Why? If I may ask," he adjusted the rearview mirror in front of him, narrowing his eyes in concentration.

"We kind of had an argument,"

"What about?"

"Well..." I hesitated "she lied to me about something, we argued, I told her I'd go to Bryson's...and him and I had an argument too." I chuckled humorlessly. "Guess I'm an expert at arguing now, heck—I should become a lawyer!" I threw my hands in the air dramatically.

"What was the argument with Bryson about?"

"Insecurities, well, among other things."

"What are you insecure about, Jasmine?" He took a turn at a T- junction, switching on the wiper blades as it was starting to rain a bit heavier.

"I don't know, out of sight,  out of mind, y'know. I've never deeply thought about it," I lied.

"So you're completely comfortable with yourself, then?" He challenged.

His eyes briefly scanned me before making their way back to the road.

"But is everyone ever completely comfortable with themselves? I mean, isn't that why we all spend time making ourselves look good?" I answered instead.

"You haven't answered my question, still." He said, "What are you insecure about?"

"You're so persistent!" I widened my eyes in exaggeration.

"I'm only persistent with what I want, love." His mouth curled upward into a smirk.

I rolled my eyes.

"Okay, then take your clothes off, right now."

"Jeez, take me out on a date first?" He joked, giving me an incredulous look.

"That's kinda what it's like asking me that, It's like someone asking you to strip right in front of them. It gives them full access to the naked, ugly parts of you and It just makes you completely vunerable to them, y'know?"

"But you see, Jasmine, when someone really fancies you, it's hard for them to really ever hate any of those bad parts or see them as you do —its possibly part of what they fancy about you, you know all the good and the bad. And I happen to fancy you—even though I shouldn't…"

"Even though you shouldn't?" I scoffed, even though I could feel the butterflies in my stomach.

"Doesn't matter," he waved it off.

Doesn't matter?

"I never knew you could be so corny," I switched the conversation back.

"Anyway, it's my turn."