Chapter 22: Happy Birthday Daddy!

It was nine am on a Saturday morning and all was quiet and seemingly normal in the Wayne manor. But as Bruce woke up from his deep slumber he couldn't help but feel like he was forgetting something. As he threw on a robe and brushed his teeth he thought over it, trying to pick his tired brain for what he could have been forgetting. After a few minutes of this Bruce ultimately decided it must not have been important as whatever it was failed to come to his memory.

Going on his way Bruce went into the hallway towards the dinning room only strangely enough the house was still dark. The large curtains were all still closed and it seemed as though no one had awakened in the manor yet. This was very odd as normally he was the last one to awaken on weekends. By this time of day Alfred would have prepared the manor for the day, and Dick would have either been watching Saturday morning cartoons or bouncing off the walls with morning energy.

Deciding to do a little investigating, Bruce first went to Dick's room making sure the little boy wasn't sick or anything like that. However when he reached the child in question's room he found it shockingly empty. The bed looked like his little boy had not been in it for a while as the sheets were tossed to the side and his blankie and Peanut were missing as well. This made Bruce a little nervous since he did not like it when he wasn't sure where his baby was or what he was doing. Carefully making his way down stairs Bruce looked around to see if his son was maybe hiding from him. For the entirety of his walk towards the dining room Bruce looked for any signs of his son or Alfred but was unsuccessful. Eventually the large muscular hero made it to the dining room door and opened it, unprepared for what he was about to experience.

"Happy Birthday daddy!" A tiny high voice squealed.

With a loud pop confetti greeted Bruce bright light from the windows shined through. Slowly but surely his eyes started to adjust to the light making it so Bruce could see what was before him. Balloons and streamers decorated the walls and roof of the dining room with bright colors. The table was covered in confetti and at the head of it stood, on the chair, his son. Dick had a bright smile and a party hat on while Alfred stood next to him, also with a party hat on, and a large stack of pancakes with whipped cream and candles on top lay before them.

"Happy Birthday Master Bruce." Alfred said with a cheeky smile.

He hadn't been able to celebrate a birthday at Wayne Manor for many years due to Master Bruce's insistence. But thanks to his young charges' curious nature the little boy asked him when Bruce's birthday was. Well one thing led to another and the two planned a surprise birthday breakfast for him.

"Oh I'd forgotten it was my birthday today, thank you you two, this was very kind of you." Bruce said a little flabbergasted as he hadn't celebrated his birthday in years, thus why he had forgotten it was today.

''Twas not my idea sir, it was young master Richard who thought of the whole idea." Alfred said with a small cheeky smile.

He'd failed to mention how he'd actually left little hints about the millionaire's birthday, as to stir his youngest charge's curiosity.

"Sit down daddy, sit down we have to sing happy birthday!" Dick squealed excitedly as he ran to his father, loving celebrating birthdays, and pulled his arm to get him to his chair.

"Alright I'm sitting down Dickey, I'm sitting down." Bruce said with a light chuckle as he sat down in his designated chair.

Once he sat down the two sang happy birthday to him making Bruce feel a mix of awkward and loved as the tune went on. Once they finished Bruce blew out the candles and the three proceeded to eat. The pancakes as usual were delicious but quite messy, which became more apparent as Dick's face was covered in whipped cream and syrup. This made Bruce laugh as he cleaned off his son's face with a wet napkin.