Chapter 26: Field Trip Mayhem Part 2

The Gotham Zoo

Four hours had passed since the Injustice League had taken everyone hostage and needless to say everyone was scared. No one knew how to handle this situation or even if they were going to live by the time it was all over. Kids were crying, adults were trying to help them calm down but knew there was no certainty to help them do so. Dick himself was quite downtrodden, as he felt helpless to do anything that wouldn't put his classmates and everyone else in more danger. He'd signaled his father and the league but that could take a while. He had his utility belt but the likelihood he could use it without being caught was incredibly small. As Dick contemplated all this he suddenly heard the Injustice League speaking, making him stop his thinking and listen in carefully.

"My baby is doing so well at keeping the police out, but I think a little more coverage over the top of the zoo would ensure no aerial attacks derail our plans. Wotan would you mind giving me some assistance with that?" Poison Ivy requested.

"Danpxe tnalp!" Wotan casted without any comment.

Immediately the orange veins in the plant began to glow brighter, eventually traveling throughout the entire plant. Within seconds the plant grew tendrils around the side that was facing the zoo. The tendrils then rose up and covered the entire roof turning the whole zoo into a giant sea anemone as the whipping tendrils threatened to slam any air strikes to the ground.

"Thank you Wotan, it's perfect!" Poison Ivy gushed.

It was then Black Adam arrived, having used his godly speed to go to the watchtower and quickly observe the Justice League's reaction.

"Count Vertigo, the Justice League is mobilizing as we speak to come rescue the hostages. How should we respond?" Black Adam asked stoically.

"Thank you for the information Adam, but there is no need for alarm. The league won't risk the lives of the hostages, especially with the children of such high profile members of Gotham society. All we need be is patient, even if the league attempts a rescue Ivy's plant will keep them busy enough." Count Vertigo said rather cockily.

"I highly doubt that, so I will be guarding the entrances to ensure we are not surprised." Black Adam responded as he flew off to patrol the halls of the zoo.

"That man needs to relax, take a load off, it's not good for your health." Joker chuckled with a creepy smile as he tossed a knife in one hand.

"He just wants to insure his payoff like the rest of us, so I'd advise leaving him be for the time being. As for the rest of us we better keep a tight watch on our hostages, unless we want to lose our leverag." Count Vertigo responded in a cool and calm manner.

The villains did as they were told, each focusing on the task they were assigned. Wotan and Poison Ivy continued their work on the plant, keeping it strong and under control with their powers. Count Vertigo and Joker kept close eyes on the cameras and near the phone should the President of the United States call. That left Ultra Humanite and Atomic Skull on guard duty, both roaming around the cluster of Hostages with the massive and deadly threats of their firearms.

At that moment most of the kids were huddled close to the nearest adults shivering in fear. Even Dick did so in order to not seem suspicious as he waited for his moment to try and escape the gardens. The patrol of the two villains went on for about an hour until as if by a stroke of luck they were distracted.

"Atomic Skull it looks like the Gotham police are attempting to break into the south entrance. Go and deal with them, make it clear we're not bluffing!" Count Vertigo said with a malicious smile.

Quietly agreeing to this the deathly looking soldier went off to the entrance to handle the police. This made it so only one person was guarding them making it so Dick could escape more easily to go directly to get help. So silently the little boy untangled himself from the crowd of fearful kindergartners and went to sneak off. However before he could get very far Barbara stopped him.