Chapter 27: Father's Day

Wayne Manor

It was 6 am that fine morning and Dick Grayson was still asleep in his comfy little bed, Peanuts snuggled in his arms. However it was soon that a little ray of light from the crack in his curtains started to wake him up. With an adorable yawn and stretch the little boy woke up and was rubbing the sleep from his eyes. But then an important thought popped into his little head making the boy run, still in his footie pajamas and Peanuts in his arms, excitedly to the kitchen. There standing next to the counter was none other than Alfred preparing a waffle recipe.

"Alfred, I'm here!" Dick squealed loudly.

"Ah I was wondering where my little Sue Chef was this morning. Now hurry and put on an apron, you can mix the ingredients together for the waffles, I'll make the syrup and cut the fruit." Alfred instructed.

Dick immediately followed the butlers instructions as he pulled up a chair to reach the counter top. For about an hour the two made waffles, fresh fruit, and fresh squeezed orange juice. Once they were finished they arranged it nicely on a tray, Dick got his gifts, and the two headed upstairs to surprise the man of the Wayne household.

The Master Bedroom

As the clock ticked on to 7:30am Bruce slept heavily in his large bed. It was off this period of time and this period of time only that the dark knight/billionaire philanthropist's mind was racing to solve the latest crime or worry about his responsibilities. He just let his head rest in the pillow and mind be at peace. However soon Bruce began to stir as he thought he heard a steady rattling moving closer to his door and the sound of tiny but heavy feet sprinting down the hall. As he woke up Bruce sat up in his bed confused as to what that noise was. Before he knew it his door was thrown open and in it stood Alfred with a cart and Dick with an excited smile.

"Happy Father's Day Daddy!" Dick squealed as he threw himself at his fathers bed.

With an equally happy smile Bruce caught his baby and hugged him to his bare chest. Dick snuggled lovingly into his fathers warm chest, always loving to rest in his favorite spot that played his favorite lullaby, his father's heart beat.

"Thank you Dickie, now tell me what all this is?" Bruce said with a happy chuckle as he adjusted his son to face forward.

"Me and Alfred made you breakfast daddy!" Dick explained excitedly as he got off his father's lap and sat next to him in his bed.

It was then Alfred happily placed the tray on Bruce's lap presenting him with a spread of crispy waffles, fresh fruit in a bowl, and a glass of squeezed orange juice.

"Happy Father's Day sir." Alfred said with a light smile.

"Happy Father's Day Alfred." Bruce responded to the man who had been a father figure to him since his parents death.

Together the three enjoyed breakfast in bed, each getting a waffle and some fruit. Once it was all finished Dick presented his father with his Father's Day gifts. The first thing Bruce received was a handmade card from Dick made off bright red construction paper, crayon, and stickers. On the front in very juvenile handwriting was Happy Father's Day Daddy with squiggles, scribbles and stickers all around it. Then inside were some nice drawings of Dick and Bruce just as themselves and others of them as Batman and Robin.

To say Bruce was touched was an understatement, this was his first Father's Day as a father and while he'd been told by the other dads in the Justice League that it was always worth it, he didn't expect it to be this much. Bruce lovingly drew his son close to him, kissing him on his forehead, and squeezing him hard.

"Thank you Dickie, this is the best card I've ever received." Bruce said in absolute sincerity.

"You're welcome daddy, but wait I have one more present for you!" The five year old said excitedly.