Chapter 25: Field Trip Mayhem Part 1

It was 7:50am at Gotham Academy and all the kindergartners were gathered together at the front with several large yellow school buses. Today was the kindergarten field trip to the Gotham Zoo and Botanical Gardens and all the kids buzzed with excitement as their parents dropped them off and made sure they had everything. Though none were quite as thorough with their check as Bruce Wayne.

"Do you have your water?"

"Yes."

"Your hat?"

"It's on my head."

"Your lunch?"

"Right here."

"What about your lock..."

"Daddy! You already asked me all this before we left home!" Dick whined annoyed by his fathers over cautiousness.

"Huuhhh I know Dickie, I'm just making sure you have everything." Bruce said, trying to cover up he was feeling major separation anxiety.

It didn't seem to matter what the situation was Bruce hated being separated from his child for extended periods of time. With his paranoid personality he couldn't help but assume the worst scenario would happen, even the thought that the following school year would be full day 1st grade freaked him out to an extreme degree. Bruce had tried to become a chaperone on the field trip but a very important meeting with the league got in the way.

"Alright everyone it's time to get on the buses, remember to stay with your groups and listen to your chaperones!" A teacher announced.

"Dick come on, my mommy is waiting over there!" Barbara called out to Dick since they were both in a group together with her mom as chaperone.

"I'm coming, I gotta go daddy I love you!" Dick said as he kissed his daddy's cheek and hugged him one last time.

"I love you too Dickie, have fun and remember to listen to everything Mrs. Gordon tells you." Bruce instructed as he returned the hug and kiss.

With that the two waved goodbye and Dick boarded the bus with all the other kindergartners. Bruce watched with bated breath as the bus started and drove off taking with it his most precious treasure. Once it left the parking lot he took a deep breath and proceeded to walk away, knowing he needed to get going if he was going to make it on time to his meeting.

On the Bus

As the bus drove the kindergartners inside we're just as loud and happy as expected. Together they sang funny little songs, played games, and talked with their fellow classmates. Dick and Barbara had a particularly good time together as they got to sit by each other the entire way and get snacks from Barbara's mom. Eventually the ruckus was brought to a stop as the bus finally arrived at the Gotham Zoo and Botanical Gardens. Mrs. Altomare made her way to the front of the bus to get the kindergartner's attention to make some important announcements.

"Alright boys and girls now that we're at the zoo it's very important you stay with your groups. As we get off the buses go to your chaperones so they can count you and make sure everyone in your group is present. Then they will give each one of you a special sticker name tag to represent your group as well as to make sure you don't get lost and mixed up. Now you and your groups are free to go anywhere in the zoo and gardens but you have to stick together. We have until 2pm to explore so use your time wisely and listen to your chaperones. Now everyone go have fun and be safe, I better not hear of anyone having bad behavior."

With that all the kindergartners rushed to get off the bus as quickly as possible, gathering in their groups as instructed. Dick's groups consisted of him, Barbara, Charlie, Pamela, and Trevor. Once Mrs. Gordon got a good count of her group she gave each child an adorable lion sticker with each of their names neatly printed on them.