12

12

Shihiri reappeared, passing through the bushes without a sound and before Únik could even react. The way the Fae girl moved through the forest, anywhere, made Únik feel like an ox navigating a tiny one room shack. Settling beside both Únik and Hatyara, the Fae moved her eyes in all directions before she allowed herself to relax. Únik couldn't say she felt surprised at the stealthiness of the Fae, her race were, after all, denizens of forests, but it still caused her to jump every time Shihiri would reappear.

"Arthid awaits. He has agreed to help any way he can." Almost without thinking, the Fae ran her hands over Barsa's side, checking the hound's injuries. She gave a small nod, then hooked her head towards Hatyara. "She'd better stay here with me. People will have questions if an Ice-Kin begins walking through the village."

"Why should I?" Without caring about remaining hidden, Hatyara stood, curling her hands into fists. "Why must I have to stay out in the cold while she gets to enter the village?"

Shihiri grabbed Hatyara's arm, yanking her back to the ground, a threatening scowl upon her face and Hatyara clamped her jaw closed at the expression. The Ice-Kin had removed the fur wrappings around her arms, legs and chest, leaving her wearing the clothes Únik had found her in. Hatyara had complained about feeling too warm, now she complained of becoming left in the cold. Únik could do nothing but shake her head.

"The people of Uriok are both superstitious and wary of strangers." Únik felt certain she had mentioned this before, or something similar. "If they see an Ice-Kin walking around, especially dressed like that, the rumours will spread to other villages and towns before we've passed down the first street!"

Hatyara looked down towards her clothing. The multi-coloured wrapping around her small breasts, almost see-through, as were the similar coloured pantaloons, along with the girl's cool, light blue skin and vibrant white hair, that looked like an avalanche of snow cascading about her bare shoulders, would all bring far too much attention. Even clothed in Uriok-style woollens, the skin and hair would cause a stir. Not to mention those eyes, so light in colour, they almost looked completely white.

"What's wrong with how I'm dressed?" The Ūtharan almost pouted at as she picked at the light material of her pantaloons. "These are the finest Alharai court-wear."

"You're not in Alharai!" The Fae hissed the words. "Or have you forgotten that you are bring pursued?"

"Well, what am I supposed to wear? Those things until we reach Star Harbour?" With her voice still raised, Hatyara threw a dismissive hand towards the furs she had removed. "I've had enough of wearing those!"

"We'll work something out." Únik had had enough, also. Turning to the Fae, away from Hatyara, She raised herself to her feet, bending her back to remain out of sight and held up a hand to Barsa as he raised to his own feet. "Stay, Barsa! This Arthid, how do I find him?"

"Follow the path to the outskirts of the village, the fourth building on the right as you enter. You can't miss it, it has a flour covered cart to the side." As Únik stood to move away, Shihiri caught her arm. "Be kind. He is a good man and has a family. Do not bring undue attention to his door."

Únik patted Shihiri's hand and nodded, her smile saying more than words that she would take care around the baker. About to turn, she stopped, picking up Hatyara's discarded furs. Rolling them up as she pushed through the gap in the bushes, she had an idea. If they were to stand a chance of getting anywhere close to Star Harbour, and Únik was still not certain she wanted to escort Hatyara all the way, they would need to blend in better.

The path wound its way to the north and Únik continued to mull over her options. Leaving Hatyara in this village was not an option, it would seem. With her attitude and the wariness of Uriok folk, in general, Únik would have better luck throwing water on flaming oil. Therefore, they would need to pass further into the simple country, to a town, perhaps, where strangers were more likely to appear.