40

40

Upon returning to the compound, Únik and Ylthara retired to Únik's room. They spent more than a few hours talking and Únik found herself opening up to Ylthara without any prompting. Unlike with other people, she found that she wanted to tell Ylthara everything.

They each took turns to impart their lives to each other. Ylthara of her life growing up in a royal court, the youngest of four and, therefore, far removed from the burden of becoming King. She talked of her days filled with martial training, of the magical training that infuriated her with her low strength at Storm magic. Of her strained, but still loving relationships with her family.

Únik, once started, poured out her entire life. From growing up in the tiny village in Uriok. Falling in love with her husband, having a child, Thesik, and of the darkening days as drink and fury took hold of her husband. Until the night his ire erupted too far and Thesik lay dead. Tears ran like a river as Únik talked of losing her daughter and the night she killed her husband.

"You saw Thesik in Hatyara, didn't you?" Laid side by side, Ylthara gripped Únik's hands. "And she played upon that. I know she did. She would have started out arrogant, as usual, but then, over time, I expect it appeared as though she thawed to you? Became attached?"

"She looks nothing like Thesik. Not at all! But ..." Únik felt tears beginning to prick her eyes once again and Ylthara brought her closer, kissing her hair and smoothing it with her hand.

"It's what she does. She finds a crack and makes a fissure." Ylthara spoke as though remembering her own problems with her sister.

After that, words seemed to drift away and, after moments of silence, they fell asleep in each other's arms.

When morning arrived, Ylthara left Únik's room with great reluctance and Únik wished they could have stayed in the room together forever. But Ylthara had important matters to attend to. She had to ensure Hatyara could not enter the city and fulfil her ice-bound promise.

Moments after Ylthara left, another procession of Ice-Kin trailed into the room and prepared another bath for Únik and she surprised herself by looking forward to the hot embrace of the spiced waters. Another Ice-Kin, not caring that Únik bathed naked, entered, leaving Únik's clothes upon her bed, fresh cleaned and dried overnight.

She preferred these clothes. The wool and leather mix. The warmth of them gave her comfort and were a far cry from the dress worn the night before. As she prepared to leave her room, she ran a hand over that dress and thought of the night before, a little smile upon her face as she remembered the dancing. Or, more accurately, the shuffling.

As she entered the courtyard, Únik saw Ylthara, dressed in her armour once again, her ice-like sword reattached to her belt and looking little like the radiant Prince she had become for the ball. The Ice-Kin appeared in deep conversation with Turug and several others. Únik couldn't decide which version of Ylthara she liked the most but knew that she had begun to feel more than 'like' for the Ice-Kin.

"It's a good day, isn't it?" Turning, Únik almost didn't recognise the owner of the voice, until she saw the stump of his arm. Bohyiris appeared almost healed, with only light scarring to his face and neck.

"Your face! I thought your scars couldn't be healed." She found herself raising a hand towards the healer's face, but stopped as he flinched away.

"So did I, but the other healers cut away the scar tissue and healed me from there." His own hand touched a cheek where the new flesh looked almost white against the rest of his ice-blue skin. "It was ... painful. And they couldn't regrow my eye. Sadly."